Abbotsford United Church (Abbotsford, Que.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Abbotsford United Church (Abbotsford, Que.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1839-

History

Abbotsford United Church, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1839 by Rev. Charles Miles, an English Congregational minister. After the death of Rev. Miles in 1855, no Congregational minister was available and the church served as an academy. At about this time, a number of Methodist families moved in the region and an appeal was sent to the Methodist minister in Granby to come and re-open the church for worship. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the Abbotsford Methodist Church joined the Union to form the Abbotsford United Church. Since 1976, the Abbotsford United Church has belonged to the Granby Pastoral Charge. Abbotsford United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board and the Congregation in co-operation with organizations within the Church, such as the Women's Missionary Society and the United Church Women.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places