Showing 66 results

Authority record
Family

Hackett (family)

  • Family

Michael Felix Hackett B.C.L. was born into a Irish Catholic home on the 23rd of August, 1851. His parents were Patrick Hackett ([1810?]-1869) of Ireland and Mary Griffin ([18-?]-) of Granby, Quebec. His father was the first Mayor of Granby, Quebec who died when a bridge collapsed in April of 1869. Michael Felix Hackett studied locally at the Granby Academy College, as well as at the College of Sainte-Marie de Monnoir, and College of Saint-Hyacinthe. He studied law at McGill University and on June 17th, 1874 he was admitted to the Quebec provincial Bar. M.F. Hackett was married in 1883 to Florence Alberta Knight (1858-1913) daughter of Albert Knight M.P. (1817-1887) and Julia Ann Rose (1817-1894). They had a family of five: John Thomas (1884-1956), Sybil Rose (1886-1954), Felix Winfield (1890-1951), Florence Julia (1891-1912), and Mary Griffin (1896-1980). M.F. Hackett practiced law in the Stanstead community, was the Mayor of Stanstead Plain (1890-1904) and Prefect of the County (1891-1897). He was a Judge of the Superior court of Quebec and politician, participating in the Quebec Legislature elected in 1892. He assumed the position of Provincial Secretary until retirement. He also ran for the federal legislature (1900 and 1904), but was not elected. He was Director and Vice president of Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance (1835-[19-?]). In addition to this, M.F. Hackett was the President of the Stanstead County Farmers' Institute, the Saint-Joseph Society, Eastern Township's Liberal-Conservative Party (Quebec) and the School Board Trustees. He also was a member of the Board of Examiners for School Teachers of Eastern Townships, Militia Captain, Batonnier of the Saint-Francois Bar (1892-93) and (1900-1901), and Grand President of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association of Canada (1895-1916). M.F. Hackett passed away 12 April 1926 in Cowansville, Quebec. He is buried at the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

John Thomas Hackett B.L., B.C.L. is the son of Michael Felix Hackett and Florence Alberta Knight. He was born in Stanstead, Quebec on June 12th, 1884. He was educated at St. Charles Seminary, Loyola College, Laval, and a graduate of McGill's Law school. It was there that J.T. Hackett founded the student council of McGill (1909). He was a resident of both Montreal and Stanstead, Quebec. He was married to Linda Harding (1884-1965) in 1912 and they had Florence Knight (1913-2009), Ann Kidder (1914-1931), Linda Mary (1916-1917), Guy Harding (1918-1951), Julia Alice (1919-1970), John David (1920-1980), Ruth Rose (1922-1928), Mary Cora (b. 1924), John Joseph (1925-1925). Hackett's occupation as Lawyer was followed by terms as a Federal Conservative M.P. (1930-1935, 1945-1949) and Senator (1955-1956). In his lifetime he participated on the board of governor's for McGill University, Executive Board of The Charity Organization Society, Catholic Social Service Guild, and Loyal Convalescent Home. He was also President of Jr. Bar Association (1919), Batonnier of the Bar Association of Montreal (1945-1946) and Canadian Bar Association (1947). John Thomas like his father was involved in the military as a Lieutenant of 55th Regiment, Irish Canadian Rangers. He was also the president of the Stanstead County Historical Society (1936-1956). He passed away 15 September 1956 and is buried in the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

Linda Harding was born 14 January 1884, in Newton Centre, Massachusetts, daughter of David Baker Harding (d. 1897) and Annie Kidder. Following the death of her father in 1897, Linda and her mother moved to Derby Line, Vermont. Her mother, Annie, married Dudley William Davis in 1899. Linda received her Bachelors of Arts from Boston University. In 1941, she compiled the book Eleazer Fitch: The First Leader of Stanstead Township. Linda passed away 28 July 1965.

Allsopp-McCorkill

  • Family

The journals are mostly those of the sons and grandsons of George Allsopp, secretary to Sir Guy Carleton 1768-1775. In the correspondence there are some letters written by George Allsopp. The collection seems to be mostly connected with his son Carleton Allsopp's family and preserved by Carleton's son, John Charles Allsopp who married into the McCorkill family at Farnham.

Ward family (Thetford, Que.)

  • Family

Robert G. Ward (1837-1907), was born in Lower Ireland, Megantic County, the son of Rev. Robert G. Ward and Marianne Turriff. He married Annie M. Cairns (born 1861, daughter of Hamby Cairns and Susan Meagher, died 1936). Together they had nine children: Robert Grant "Bob" (1883-?), Hamby Ward (1884-?), Alexander Harry (1885-1964), John Albert (1888-1942), Charles Edgar (1890-1891), James Turriff (1892-?), Annie Maria (1893-1893), Peter Douglas (1895-1977?), and Albion Tudor (1898-1962). Robert G. Ward (II)'s pursuit of mining interests began in 1876 when the discovery of asbestos was made in one of his fields. Subsequently, he purchased the mining rights for the lot in Thetford Township and began the Ward family's mining intersests in the area.

Albion T. Ward, miner by profession, was married first to Nita Hammerick/Hammerich in 1925 (divorced 1944), and second to Doris Christine Peterson (1913-1986). Robert Grant Ward (III) went west to mine gold as a young man. By 1903, he had turned to amateur boxing in San Francisco. His ability in the ring led him to take the title of amateur heavyweight champion of America and, later on, pro heavyweight champion of the British Commonwealth. Later on he returned to Quebec to pursue mining. Alexander Henry (a.k.a. Harry) Ward married Agnes Gertrude Moore (b. 1899), daughter of William Moore and Sarah Elizabeth Robinson. Together they had seven children: Dorothy (a.k.a. Dolly, b. 1917), Kathleen (b. 1919), Evelyn (b. 1919), Agnes (1921-1921), Robert (1923-1923), Marjorie (b. 1924), and Lois (b. 1928). Lois T. Ward married Wilfred Alan Greatrex in 1950 in Ontario.

Elvyn M. Baldwin (family)

  • Family

The family of Levi Baldwin immigrated to Canada from Connecticut, USA, in 1799. They settled in Barnston Township where he was a farmer. Levi Baldwin (d. 1843) was first married to Experience Goff (d. 1815) and, second, to Abigail Mills (d. 1830). The children by his first marriage were: Huldah, Lotes, Richard, Deborah and Patience. The children by his second marriage were: Elizabeth, John Percival and Huldah. John Percival Baldwin married Jeanette Baker and they settled near the outlet of Lake Lyster. He became a very successful businessman, having established a sawmill on the Lake. John's youngest son was Willis Keith (W. K.) Baldwin, who married Lill Ferrin from Holland, Vermont. In his lifetime, W. K. was well-regarded and successful in business as wells as politics. While many of the descendants of W. K. and Lill have left, a number still remain in Baldwin's Mills and in the Townships.

The family of Hezikiah May (1775-1857) immigrated to Canada from Vermont, USA, in 1806. The settled in Stanstead Township where he was a farmer. Hezikiah was married to Sarah (Sally) Hayes (1784-1871) and they had eleven children together: Electa, Sylvester, Hannah, Willard, Lyman, Lorenzo, Ruby, Louisa, James, Mary Ann and Maria. Sylvester May moved from Stanstead Township to Barnston Township, near Lake Lyster. Sylvester's oldest son, Darius, also a farmer, married Emma Stevens. One of their daughters, Ruth, married Harold Baldwin, which is how the Baldwins and Mays are related.
.

Jenks (family)

  • Family

Leslie Hall Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 28 December 1849. He was a dentist in Coaticook and had a practice at the corner of Pleasant and Cutting Streets. Leslie married Nancy Cushing on 30 October 1879. Together they had four children: Charles Nathaniel (1882-1888), Cushing (1885-1885), Archibald Nathaniel (1889-1938) and Abbott Cushing (1893-1957). Leslie died 5 October 1910 and is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.

John Nathaniel Jenks, son of Nathaniel Jenks and Lucy Thornton, was born in Barnston on 18 July 1848. He studied at Darmouth College and eventually became the principal of the Barnston Academy and also worked as a border agent. He married Kate Cole on 23 September 1902. Together they had one child: John (a.k.a. Donald) Leslie Jenks (1909-1973). John died on 5 December 1937.

Edgar William Smith

  • Family

Edgar William Smith received a B.A. from Bishop's University in 1919. Edgar Nelson Smith also received a B.A. from Bishop's in 1955.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

Nicolls-Mountain

  • Family
  • 1805-1909

The Nicolls and Mountain families lived in Quebec and Lennoxville in the nineteenth century. The founders of the connection were George Jehoshaphat Mountain, a young Anglican clergyman, and Gustavus Nicolls, a Captain of Engineers. Mountain married Mary Hume Thomson, the daughter of a British official in Quebec in 1814. Nicolls married Mary Thomson's elder sister Heriot Frances, in 1812. Gustavus Nicolls became Commander of Royal Engineers in Canada, while Mountain became Bishop of Quebec. In 1845, Mountain appointed his nephew, Jasper Nicolls, the General's third son, as Principal of the newly established Anglican institution in Lennoxville, Bishop's College. Jasper fell in love with his cousin Harriet, the Bishop's daughter. They were married in Quebec in 1847. The correspondence which flowed between the Mountain family in Quebec and the Nicolls family in Lennoxville provided the basis for Ten Rings on the Oak, 1847-1856 by Donald C. Masters and Marjorie W. Masters.

McIver, Lewis (family)

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-1925

Lewis McIver, son of Colin and Anne McIver, was born in Scotland around 1815. He immigrated to Canada and settled in Bury as a trader. He married Sarah Pope in Lingwick on 3 November 1852 and among their children were: Alexandrina Anne (b. 1853), Lilly Evandrina (b. 1855), and Alexander Lewis (b. 1856).

Alexander Lewis McIver (sometimes also written as MacIver), who also worked as a trader in Bury, married Selina K. Fauquier(?) and together they had three children: Eric (b. 1894), Nina (b. 1897), and Joan (b. 1901). It appears that Alexander Lewis moved to Ontario in 1915. Eric McIver served in World War I as an observer and pilot for the 7th Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He died in Oakville, Ontario on 29 October 1925, where he was working for the Tonopah Mining Company, following a sudden and brief illness.

Mason, Edward (family)

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Edward Mason, son of James Mason and Mary Armstrong, was born in Rawdon in 1829. He married Mary Ellen Copping in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (be. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

Copping, George (family)

  • Family
  • 18th cent.-20th cent.

(Generation 1) George Copping (1870-1949), born in Hatfield, Essex County, England, married Elizabeth Saggers (1782-1852), born in Chigwell, Essex County, England, in 1806 in London, England. The couple, along with their children immigrated to Quebec in 1811 and eventually settled in Rawdon by 1823. Among their eleven children were: George William (1807-1879), Henry (1818-1894), and William George (1808-1889).

(Generation 2) George W. Copping, son of George Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Mary Grey in Rawdon in 1830. Together they had ten children: John (b. 1831), Thomas (b. 1833), George (b. 1835), Elizabeth (b. 1837), Margaret (b. 1839), Mary E. (b. 1841), Ann (b. 1844), Charles (b. 1846), Sarah (b. 1848), and Jane (1851).

(Generation 3) John Copping, son of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Nancy Marlin in 1855 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: James Henry (b. 1857), Mary Jane, and John Alexander (b. 1868). John A. married Sarah Alice Mason in 1896 in Rawdon. The couple settled in Sand Hill after a short time in Comtpon until they moved to Lennoxville in 1945. They did not have any children. John died at the Sherbrooke Hospital in 1949. Alice died in 1960.

(Generation 3) Mary Ellen Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Edward Mason in Rawdon in 1861. Together they had ten children: James Charles (b. 1862), Mary Ellen (b. 1864), Eliza Jane (b. 1865), George William (b. 1867), Annie Mariah (b. 1869), Sarah Alice (b. 1873), Charlotte Edith (b. 1877), Edward Armstrong (b. 1878), Thomas Albert (b. 1880), and Ethel Maude (b. 1882). Annie Mariah Mason married John Richard Copping. Mary Ellen Mason married Richard F. Boyce. Sarah Alice Mason married John Alex. Copping.

(Generation 3) Sarah Copping, daughter of George W. Copping and Mary Grey, married Samuel Dixon. She died in Cobden, Ontario in 1909.

(Generation 2) William G. Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, married Margaret Gray in Rawdon in 1833. Together they had twelve children: Henry (b. 1834), William (1835-1836), George (b. 1838), Elizabeth (b. 1840), James (b. 1842), Thomas (b. 1844), William (b. 1845), John (b. 1847), Joseph (b. 1849), Charles (b. 1851), David (b. 1852), and Samuel (b. 1856). William died in 1889 in Rawdon. Among his children, George married Elizabeth Copping (daugther of Henry Copping and Jane Cook).

(Generation 2) Henry Copping, son of Henry Copping and Elizabeth Saggers, first married Jane Cook (ca. 1817-1846) in 1841 in Rawdon. Together they had three children: Mary (b. 1842), Elizabeth (b. 1844), and Jane (b. 1846). He married second Frances “Fannie” Harkness (1827-1872) in 1847 in Rawdon. Together they had eleven children: George (b. 1848), Ellen Maria (b. 1849), Jane L. (b. 1851), Sarah Ann (b. 1853), Henry (b. 1856), William Thomas (b. 1858), Margaret Frances (b. 1860), James Charles (b. 1862), John Richard (b. 1864), Clara Emiline (b. 1866), and Reuben (b. 1868). Henry Copping married third Mary Sinclair (ca. 1833-1887).

(Generation 3) Elizabeth Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Jane Cook, married George Copping (son of Wiliam George Copping and Margaret Gray) in Montreal in 1870. Together they had six children: Helena, Clara Maude, Wiliam Henry Grey, Mary Alice, Melvin Francis, and Charles Clayton.

(Generation 3) Jane L. Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married John Johnston in Montreal 1874. Together they had five children: Violet, Victor, Augustus “Gus” Hyatt, Laura Sinclair, and John Walter.

(Generation 3) Sarah Ann “Lail” Copping, daughter of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married James Barrow in Montreal in 1880. Together they had seven children: Lester, Hartley, Eleanor, Garnet, Grace, Hazel, and Douglas.

(Generation 3) John “Jack” Richard Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Annie Mariah Mason in Montreal in 1893. Together they had one child: Vivian Iris.

(Generation 3) Reuben Copping, son of Henry Copping and Fannie/Frances Harkness, married Eliza Jane Mason in Montreal in 1894. Together they had three children: Laurence Edward, Reginald Lloyd, and Ruby Isabel. Reuben worked for a time in Montreal for Christie, Brown & Company, followed by the purchase of a farm in Sand Hill. He died in Sand Hill in 1929.

Gallop, John

  • Canada
  • Family

John W. Gallop graduated from Bishop's University in 1957, and married Nancy (Willis) Gallop who also graduated from Bishop's in 1958.

Boyce, Richard F.

  • Family
  • 19th cent.-20th cent.

Richard Francis Boyce, son of William and Melinda Boyce, was born in 1861 in Rawdon. He married Mary Ellen Mason (1864-1948) in Rawdon in 1884. Together they had six children: Cornelia E. (b. 1884), Bertha L. (b. 1886), Oscar R. (b. 1888), Mary Mina. (b. 1891), Maude F. (b.1894), and Hazel Geraldine (b. 1902). Around 1904, Richard and Mary Ellen moved from Rawdon to Milby and purchased a farm there. Richard died in 1926 and Mary Ellen died in 1948.

Cornelia Boyce marred Edgar A. Orr. The couple owned a farm in Milby. Bertha Boyce married Olie Parker and moved to Sherbrooke. Oscar Boyce married Jennie Sophia McVety. Mary “Minne” Boyce married Silas McVety and moved to Sherbrooke. Maude Boyce married Leonard Graham and moved to Westmount. Hazel Boyce married David Tatley and moved to Belleville, Ontario.

Hunting (family)

  • Family

Seth and William Hunting, the founders of Huntingville and involved in the establishment of the Universalist Church in the village, were the first Huntings to the Eastern Townships. Born in Hubbardston, Mass., William and Seth Hunting were two of the four children of William Hunting and Lydia Wheelock. William Hunting (1784-1832), their eldest son, and Mary (Polly) Stone (1782-1853) were married in 1809 and subsequently moved to Templeton, Mass., where Mary's family was from. Mary was the eldest daughter of Catharine Wyman and Leonard Stone, Catharine's second husband. Previously, Catharine had first married Aaron Kendall who died after 10 years of marriage, in 1881. From her mother's first marriage, Mary (Polly) Stone had three half-siblings. The family connections on the Stone side of the Hunting family are significant because much correspondence was received from these relatives in the United States. After the birth of two daughters in 1809 and 1811, William and Mary Polly Hunting moved to Ascot Township in Lower Canada in 1812. Although the reason for the move is not certain, it is likely that they were prompted by some of Mary Stone's relatives who had already made the move north.

By 1815, Seth Hunting (1788-1872) had brought his new bride, Nancy Davis, to the Eastern Townships as well and had bought land on the Salmon River, now the Ascot River, which would be the future site of Huntingville. At this time, William and his family moved from Ascot to join Seth were he had chosen to settle. Seth and Nancy Hunting had six children: Stephen (1815-1841), Susan (1816-1886), Henry W. (1830-1896), William Seth (1865-1950), Fredrick A. (1867-1868), and Charles P. (1864-1931). Although Seth had purchased the land where the mills would eventually be situated, it appears that he was a farmer rather then a miller and it would be William who would build the mills.

William Hunting and Mary (Polly) Stone had six children: Betsey (1809-1832), Catharine (1811-1838), William (1815-1892), Leonard (1820-1842), Lyman E. (1821-1850), and Ephraim, who died as an infant. William Hunting built and operated the first dam across the river and subsequently built a grist mill and a saw mill on its shores. Additionally, he operated another mill on the Eaton River. When he died in 1832, his eldest son, William, took over the mills at the young age of 17. By 1838, William's younger brothers, Leonard and Lyman, were helping at the mills. By the 1840s, Lyman had left the mills to work at the Fuller General Store in Lennoxville because of ill-health, some sort of lung disease, and, for time, lived in the United States. Descendants of William Hunting Jr. operated the saw and grist mills until 1960, when a fire destroyed both buildings. In 1961, a planing mill was built and operated by Ross Hunting but has since been shut down, although the building still stands next to the Salmon River in Huntingville.

Dumoulin (family)

  • Family
  • 1901-

Pierre Dumoulin was born Coaticook on 17 May 1902 to Samuel Dumoulin and Cyrilda Paquette. Amarilda Larivière was born on 21 August 1901 to Dolor Larivière and Élise Bouvier. The couple married in Rock Island on 30 August 1920 and together they had the following children: Gertrude (1921-1992), Thérèse (b. 1923), Léonard (1924), Normand (1926), Madeleine (1927-2011), André (192-2011), Paul (1929-2010), Guy (1930), François (1932), Marcel (1934), Jacques (1935), Jean-Maurice (1936-2013), Rosaire (1937-2013), Charles-Auguste (1939), Jules (1940), Jean-Claude (1943), Luc (1945), and Vincent (1947-1966).
Jean-Maurice Dumoulin was born in Coaticook on 4 July 1936 to Pierre Dumoulin and Amarilda Larivière. As a young boy, he felt called by God to join the seminary. This decision was short-lived, however, and soon after he withdrew from the seminary and joined the choir instead. At the age of 14, he began his first job at Penman’s, and from the ages of 15 to 20 he worked in the evening at Coaticook Textile and on the weekends at Daigle & Frères, returning all his earnings to his mother. As an adult, Jean-Maurice left Coaticook for Montreal and eventually obtained a degree as a psycho-educator and worked for 20 years in Sherbrooke with mentally handicapped children. He married and had two children: Sarah and Nadia. He retired from teaching after 20 years and purchased a farm in Kingscroft. Following the dissolution of his marriage, Jean-Maurice sold the farm and worked as the custodian at the convent of La Présentation. During his lifetime, Jean-Maurice was involved in a variety of volunteer and community groups. He died on 7 February 2013 in Sherbrooke.

Rue principales. City of Coaticook

  • Family
  • 1992-

The organization Rues principales Coaticook was established in Coaticook around 1992 with the mission to support the regional service network and to assure the commercial leadership in Coaticook’s downtown as part of a broader initiative to revitalise Coaticook’s commercial sector. Among the activities pursued and/or supported by Rues principales in the early years were special publicity campaigns (particularly for holidays). Their mission has evolved over time and presently is to offer training to merchants, to organize interactive activities, and joint promotions. It collaborates on the commercial diversification of Coaticook’s downtown by supporting developers and also takes an interest in projects that encourage development, sustainability, and vitality in a diversified commercial sector. In 2009, Rue principales Coaticook received its first 4 As certification from the Fondation Rues principales, which was renewed in 2012 at the same time as receiving a “silver” designation.

Drolet-Fortin family

  • Family

Napoléon Drolet, born in 1842, and married Adéline Rochette in Québec in 1864. They settled in Compton, where their twelve children were born: Thomas, Eugenie, Oliva, Emile, Marie Alma, Victor, Blanche, Adelina, Marie Louise, Léon C., Ernest, and Léontine. In 1909, the family relocated to Coaticook. Ernest studied at Université de Montréal, receiving his BA in pharmacology. He opened his practice in Coaticook, in the building known as “Medicine Hall.” Ernest Drolet married Émilie Fortin in 1909 in Cookshire and together they had one child: Antoinette (1910-1999). Antoinette married Ernest Délium Émond in 1945 in Montréal.
Joseph Alexandre Fortin (1846-1920) married Marie Joséphine Tremblay (1854-1928) in Roberval in 1872. At some point the couple moved to area of La Patrie, where some of their children were born. Together they had eight children: Adélard, Joseph Darly, Alfred, Émilie, Joseph François-Xavier, Arthur, Laura, and Alice. Xavier (1884-1976) married Blanche Roy (1895-1999). Émilie (1882-1963) married Ernest Casimir Drolet (1883-1919).
Lucien Roy married Ferdinanda Côté, probably in the area of Saint-Anaclet-de-Lessard in Rimouski. Among their children was Blanche Marie Fernanda Roy, born in 1895. Blanche married Xavier Joseph Fortin in Drummondville in 1919.

Lefebvre, family

  • Family
  • fl. [191-]-1986

David Lefebvre (1888-1955), son of François Xavier Lefebvre and Léocadie Lapointe, married Adélina Lebel (1893-1987), daughter of Paul Lebel and Geneviève Bouchard, on 27 September 1910 in St-Herménégilde. Together they had two children: Normand (married Germaine Labbé in June 1936) and Francella (married Florian Ménard in October 1940). In 1919, David Lefebvre started a funeral service, along with a taxi and ambulance service, in Coaticook. He carried out this work until his death in 1955. Later on, Fernand Riendeau became director of the Frais Funeraires. Florian Ménard also worked for the Lefebvre funeral service as an ambulance driver and embalmer.

Tanguay, family

  • Family
  • fl. [191-]-1989

Joseph-Octave Tanguay (1845-1934), born in St-Henri de Lévis, arrived in Coaticook with his wife, Philomène Hémond, and children in 1898. Their children were: Délima (1877-1960), Calixte (1881-1957), Virginie (b. 1883), Cyprien (1886-1986), and Joséphine (b. 1890). J.-O. Tanguay farmed until his retirement in 1920.
Calixte Tanguay (1881-1957) married Rose Anna Giroux (1879-1948) in Coaticook on 25 October 1915. Together they had three children: Wilfrid, Jeanne (1917-1989), and Yvonne (b. 1920).

Cyprien Tanguay (1886-1986) married Delvina Couture (1897-1985) on 12 September 1916 in St. Herménégilde. Together they had at least two childred: Jeannette (1916-1989), Lucien-Paul (b. 1923). In 1927, Cyprien opened a grocery store on Cutting Street in Coaticook. The store, though not as large as that of D.S. Bachand on Main Street, was particularly popular with the children who attended school on Pleasant Street (presently Gérin-Lajoie), who came in to buy penny candy.

Jeannette Tanguay (1916-1989) was particularly passionate about music.

Telmosse, family

  • Family
  • fl. 1905-1983

Ignace-Denis Telmosse was born in Montreal on 19 July 1889, son of Louis W. Telmosse and Lumina Perreault. Following the receipt of his doctorate in medicine in 1912, he settled in Coaticook in 1916. He practiced medicine in Coaticook until his death in 1955. Dr. I. Telmosse served as the first president of the medical office of the Centre hospitalier de Coaticook.
Dr. I. Telmosse married Denise Dupuis (1898-1985) in 1917. Together the couple had ten children: Edmond (1917), Thérèse (1920-1990), Berthe (1921-2001), Suzanne (1923), Louis (1923), Mathilde (1924), Denise (1926), François (1927-1990), Marguerite (1930), and Roger (1932-2017). Edmond and Louis joined the clergy as Catholic priests. François and Roger followed in their father’s footsteps, becoming doctors. Thérèse married Dr. Gustave Gérin-Lajoie.

Meade family

  • Family

Joseph Meade (1843-1910) emigrated from England in 1880, settling with his family in the Coaticook area. He was married to Lydia Timson and together they had 6 children, including Frank (1871-1943) – a manager at Belding-Corticelli from 1922 to 1939 – and Sydney A. – a surveyor and engineer.

Sydney A. Meade (1882-1961) first married Pearl Johnson (1884-1918) in 1909 and together they had two children: Sydney (b. 1911) and Cecil (b. 1916). Following the death of Pearl, Sydney married second Eva Jane Robinson in 1920. Sydney A. Meade was admitted to the Quebec Order of Surveyors on 19 December 1908. He was active in the Coaticook and Sherbrooke areas.

Cecil Meade (1916-1998) was born in Coaticook on 24 December 1916. After studying at Coaticook High School and Bishop’s University, he worked as a surveyor’s assistant with his father, Sydney, for a few years before beginning serious study of music at the Toronto Conservatory. This was followed by military service overseas during World War II and study of music at McGill University, and a number of varied work pursuits. He received a Bachelor of Music from McGill University in 1957 and spent much of his life working in different countries and on various musical projects.

Cushing, family

  • Family
  • fl. 1914-1994

Charles Jackson Cushing, son of Manda T. Cushing and Patsy Eliza Abbott, was born in Barnston on 1 February 1850. He was educated at Barnston Academy. During his lifetime, Charles J. Cushing served as mayor, school commissioner, and Justice of the Peace. He married Amelia Carr on 17 June 1885. Following Amelia Carr’s death in June 1915, he married Emily A. Hadlock in October 1915. Among Charles J. Cushing’s nieces and nephews were Abbott Jenks and Emily Cushing Sheldon. Heber Cushing Peters, son of Alexander Peters and Sarah Elizabeth Cushing Haselton, was another relative. Charles J. Cushing spent his life on the family homestead and passed away on 19 April 1931.

Gingras (family)

  • Family

Armand J. (a.k.a "Pete") Gingras (1892-1976), son of Napoléon and Virginie Gingras of Sherbrooke, married Leota Moss (1896-1961), daughter of Michael and Bertha Moss of Coaticook, on 25 September 1916. Armand spent his professional life working as a salesman at H.C. Wilson & Sons music store in Sherbrooke for 60 years. Armand and Leota moved to Lennoxville and bought a house on the corner of Academy and Meade Streets. Together, they had at least 2 children: Leonard (1917-2006) and Gerald (1920-1999). Both Leonard and Gerald fought in World War II with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Leonard married Wilma Campbell (1921-2011) on 17 June 1942.

Woodman Family

  • W016
  • Family
  • 1623-

The Woodmans trace their North American roots back to Edward Woodman who first emigrated to Newbury Mass.from Wiltshire, England in 1623. Joshua S. Woodman and his wife Polly Sturtevant settled in Hatley on Lot no. 5, 2nd Range in 1819. Together they had six children: Mary M. (3 October 1813), Joshua S. (25 October 1815), Eliza J. (3 April 1821), Caleb T., Albert Alonzo (19 July 1825), Sarah (27 July 1828). Johsua died on 10 March 1865. Joshua’s son, Albert Alonzo Woodman married Mary Jane Sanborn on 20 April 1847 in Compton, Que. They owned a farm in Moe’s River. Together, Albert and Mary had four children: Albert Alonzo Woodman Jr. (1867-1932), Eliza Jane Woodman, Sarah Orcelia Woodman and Milton Sawyer Woodman. Albert Alonzo Woodman died on 7 September 1895 and is buried at the Moe’s River Cemetery.

Halliday

  • Family
  • 20th century

Alethea Maud Mount was the daughter of Reverend Hector P. and Sarah Maud Mount. She married George Halliday (b. October 22nd, 1889) of Newport Township on August 1st, 1936 in the Bishop Carmichael Memorial Church (Foster, Quebec). George was the son of Robert Halliday (October 27th, 1843 to March 17th, 1924) and Henrietta Hitchcock (May 11th, 1853 to March 10th, 1934). George lived on the farm in Newport Township purchased by his father in 1872. He obtained his Bachelor of Agricultural degree in 1913. He farmed with his father (until his father's death in 1924), then continued until 1942 when he moved into the village of Sawyerville. George Halliday died on October 31st, 1973 at the Sherbrooke Protestant Hospital. Alethea died in the Whitby General Hospital, Ontario on May 19th, 1993 in her 90th year. George and Alethea are buried in Eaton Cemetery. Dr. Ernest (Ernie) Charles Halliday (August 11th, 1878 to September 2nd, 1941) was the son of Robert and Henrietta Halliday.

Results 1 to 30 of 66