Showing 2443 results

Authority record

Scowen family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1882-

Herbert Scowen (1882-1969), born in England and married in 1905 to Cordelia (Della) Scowen (1883-1973), the daughter of Samuel Keynes (?-?) and Emma Keynes (?-?). Herbert and Cordelia (Della) Scowen immigrated to Canada in 1909. Herbert participated in the First World War. Their son, Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989), married to Eulah Reed (1900-1993) in 1930; Roland Scowen (ca. 1908-1969), married to Betty Scowen ([19?]-?); and Marjorie (ca. 1915-?), married to Gordon ([19?]-?).

Philip H. Scowen and Eulah A. Reed, married 26 July 1930 in North Hatley, had three children: son Philip Reed (known as Reed) (married Mary Anne Winterer in September 1956), daughter Annis Lee (known as Lee) (married Dr. Matthew Philip Campione on 7 January 1956 in North Hatley) and son Philip (born 20 Nov. 1937). Philip H. Scowen was sales manager for the East Angus branch of the Brompton Pulp and Paper Co.

Milne, Henrietta Kathleen Warren, 1911-2001

  • Person
  • 1911-2001

Henrietta Kathleen Warren was born on 21 January 1911. She was the daughter of Alice Frances Rattray, known as "Kitty," born in Quebec City (14 September 1881-19 April 1968, Magog), the daughter of David Rattray and Henrietta Charlotte Ahern and Herbert Lawrence Warren, born London, Ontario (23 April 1881-19 June 1952, Cobourg, Ontario) son of Thomas Brimage Warren and Mary Martha Hamilton. Herbert and Alice had three children, all born in Montreal: Herbert Hamilton Warren (25 April 1908- 9 January 1987, Ottawa), Henrietta Kathleen (Kay), and Mary Hamilton Warren (16 February 1913- 2 July 1960, Magog).

Herbert Lawrence Warren, in partnership with with Mr. Dale, founded of the Warrendale Shirt Company in 1927. He was also involved with The Montreal Quilting Company. Herbert Hamilton, his son, was Secretary Treasurer of Warrendale for most of his working life. He expanded to include the Belding-Corticelli Company, which included the factory in Coaticook, a lace factory in Ways Mills, a warehouse and a factory in St. Jean sur Richelieu. Herbert Hamilton became a director of Belding-Corticelli, Warrendale, the Montreal Quilting Company, and Iroquois Chemicals.

Henrietta Kathleen graduated from McGill University in 1932. She was married to Harry Austin Milne in 1941. She had two daughters: Catherine (b. 1946) and Jean (b. 1948), who both attended McGill.

Member of the Board since 1971, H. K. Milne became President of the Memphremagog Library in 1974 and assumed this responsibility until 1993 when it was municipalized. All those years, she worked hard to defend the interests of the library. Its growth is indeed due to her devoted work. Beyond her noteworthy role in the growth of the Memphremagog Library, her community involvement is represented through her participation in numerous other organizations and projects, such as the founding of Pinecroft Residence in Magog, Social Services Sherbrooke, the Magog District Home and School Association, the 1st Magog Company of Girl Guides, the Sherbrooke University Women's Club, and the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation, among other things. Her significant contribution to the community was recognized in 2004 when the Municipality of Magog named a street in her honour.

She also maintained a great interest in the history of Magog and the Eastern Townships, represented by her collection of historical articles and photographs.

H. K. Milne died 5 April 2001 at Magog. She is buried in Pine Hill Cemetery.

Milne, Francis Joseph (1870-1948)

  • Person
  • 1870-1948

Francis Joseph Milne was born in 1870 in Rochdale, England. He married Catherine (Kate) Mallinson ([before 1870]-1924) and together they had the following children:

  • Frank Milne (1894-1970) married Evelyn (Eva) M. Truax (1895-1980) at the St. Luke’s Anglican Church in Magog on 10 October 1916. The couple lived at 24 Bethune Street in Sherbrooke and are buried at the Elmwood Cemetery. They had two children: John Riley (1922-1944) and Joan Elizabeth (b. 1926), who married Peter Brett. John was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force.
  • Allan Edward Milne, died 22 April 1900, aged 15 months.
  • Jessie Dorcas Milne (b. 1904) married Harry Jackson on 19 June 1930 at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Magog, and had two children: Christine C. and Phillip G. (d. 1978). They lived in various locations in Canada and the United States.
  • Harry Austin Milne (30 Aug. 1906-29 Dec. 1998) married H. Kathleen (Kay) Warren on 6 Sep. in 1941 in St. John’s, Newfoundland. The couple lived at 1 Hatley Street in Magog. They had two children: Catherine A. (b. Oct. 1946) and Jean F. (b. Mar. 1948).
  • Doris Kathleen (b. 1914) married Dr. Jacques Hébert on 22 December 1939 in Noranda, Que.

Francis J. Milne died 22 March 1948 at the home of his son, Harry, in Magog and is buried at the Pine Hill Cemetery.

Fargues, Jean

  • Person
  • 1779-18??

Jean Fargues is the son of Pierre Fargues and Henriette Guichaud of Quebec City being the 7th out of 9 children. After the death of her husband in 1780, Henriette married Thomas Dunn on November 27, 1783 and they had 3 children. Jean Fargues enrolled in the 60th Infantry Regiment on November 23, 1796 and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1798 and Captain in 1799. We lose track of Jean Fargues in 1804.

Wheeler, John Austin

  • 1864-1933

John Austin Wheeler, son of Thomas W. Wheeler and Anna E. Duboyce, was one of the prominent Knowlton photographers of the period. Wheeler had his own studio in Knowlton from 1890 to 1897. He specialized in studio portraits and exterior scenery and buildings. He married Edith Elizabeth Collins, daughter of Azro Collins and Mary Eliza Brimmer, and they had ten children, including Rhoda Julia, who married Harry Small Northrop, who was a volunteer at the Brome County Historical Society for many years.

Reed family (Reedsville)

  • Family
  • 1834-

Wilder Reed (1834-?), married to Almira Bean (1836-?), had 5 sons and 2 daughters: Wesley Reed (1861-?), married to Lydia Hawse (1859-?); Alice Reed (ca. 1864-1881); Tommy Reed (1866-? ), married to Mary Woodward (1869-?); Cheney Reed (ca. 1869-?), married to Ada Hart ([18?]-?); Bert Reed (1874-1949), married to Ruth Little (1875-1967); George Reed (ca. 1878-?); Permillia Reed (ca. 1880-?). James B. Reed and Ruth Little had in turn 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-2010), married in 1938 to Rupert Littlejohn ([19?]-?)- the couple resided in Potsdam, NY; Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). Eulah taught at Buckingham High School.

Thwaites family (Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1811-

James Thwaites (1811-1890), married about 1836 to Ruth Hodgson (1807-1890), lived in Hatley. They were the parents of Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), married to Thomas Little (1840-1925); and Mary Margaret (1853-1824), married to Nelson LeBaron (1841-1915).

Little family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1841-

Thomas Little (1841-1925), married to Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), had 3 sons and 4 daughters: Taylor Little (ca. 1868-?); Thomas Little (ca. 1869-?); Bertha A. Little (ca. 1874-1903); Ruth Little (1875-1967), married in 1899 to J. B. Reed (1874-1949); Rosamond Little (1877-?); Edith M. Little (ca. 1880-?), married to C. P. Young (?-?); and Ray Little (1886-?).

Reed, James Bert, 1874-1949

  • Person
  • 1874-1949

Born in 1874 in North Hatley [Reedsville], he was the fourth son of Wilder Reed (1834-?) and Almira Bean (1836-?). J.B. Reed was a farmer, the founder in 1895 of the J.B. Reed & Sons mill in North Hatley, a founder and secretary of the United Farmers of Canada Organization, a president of the St. Francis District Holstein Breeders' Association, a member of the North Hatley Town Council and a member of the Universalist Church. Married to Ruth Little (1875-1967) in 1899, he had 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-?), married in 1938 to Robert Littlejohn ([19?]-?); Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). He was a candidate for the Reconstruction Party in the 1935 federal election. James B. Reed died in 1949 in North Hatley.

Westover, Moses

  • Person
  • 1744-1826

Moses Westover was born March 24, 1744 in Sheffield, Massachusetts (U.S.A.), son of John Westover and Rachel Morton. He married Elizabeth Holmes, daughter of Capt John Holmes III and Elizabeth Rachel Fellows, and they had 11 children. He was registered as a United Empire Loyalist in 1775 but had to move to Caldwell's Manor in 1785, along with his wife and seven children (two had died young). They had two more children during their stay at Caldwell's Manor. Moses Westover received a land grant on September 1st, 1801 in Stanbridge, Missisquoi, Lower Canada, consisting of 1000 acres: Range 2, lot 10 and Range 7, lots 17,18,19 and 21. In 1802, he received a land grant in Sutton Township, consisting of 200 acres in Range 10, lot 16. He sold this piece of land in December 1825, eleven month before he died on November 23, 1826. He is buried in the Pettes-Aseltine Cemetery, in Sutton Junction.

École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-[1931?]

Founded in February 1930 by Willie A. St-Pierre, Léon-C. Drolet and Dr. Raoul Laurence, the École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead was a choir and operatic association that was headquartered in Coaticook. The first music director was Oscar Cartier. At the outset, the École musicale aimed to give free weekly concerts at the Town Hall. It appears that the École Musicale was dissolved around 1931 or 1932.

Cloutier, Philibert Joseph Louis (1919-2005)

  • Person
  • 1919-2005

Philibert (Joseph Louis) Cloutier was born April 24, 1919 at Manseau, married Eva Carignan on May 25, 1945, and died May 29, 2005 in Coaticook.

Jenks, Archie, 1889-1938

  • Person

Archie Nathaniel Jenks was born the 14 October 1889 in Coaticook, the second youngest son of Leslie Hall Jenks and Nancy Cushing. While still a dental student at McGill University, Archie enlisted during World War I with the 13th Battalion of Royal Horse Guards, C.E.F. in 1915 where he served as a medical officer. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in March 1917, scoring seven victories as an observer and achieved the rank of Lieutenant. Archie was found temporarily unfit for active service in 1917 following an injury he sustained when his airplane was shot down by Germans and returned to Canada as an aviation instructor. He was honourably discharged in 1918 and, after finishing his studies, went on to have a dentistry practice in Montreal. He married Elizabeth McKim (1892-1980) and together they had one child, Anson N. Jenks (1929-1931). Archie committed suicide on the 29 July 1938, after shooting his wife. He is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.

Blackwood, Homer Mitchell

  • Person
  • 1924-1999

Son of James Blackwood and Bertha May Tibbits, he was raised in Knowlton and went the Knowlton High School were he graduated in 1941. He started working for Bell Canada right away. In 1943, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and graduated as a pilot. At the end of WWII, he came back to Knowlton and continued working for Bell Canada until his retirement in 1979. In the meantime, he was elected as a councillor in 1970 and became mayor of Brome Lake in 1971. Except for the 4-year term of 1987 to 1991, he was always reelected until he retired in September 1999. He died of a heart failure just two weeks after his difficult decision. Homer M. Blackwood was also a dedicated volunteer at the Brome County Historical Society and was elected President from 1968 to 1970.

Meekren, Robert James (1876-1963)

  • Person
  • 1876-1963

Robert James Meekren was born on 25 June 1876 in Lambeth, London, England, the son of Robert Charles Meekren and Eliza Alice nee Carter. The family immigrated to Canada when he was fifteen and settled at Stanstead, Quebec, Canada. Described as a textile manager and a widower, he served for three years as a sub-district intelligence officer in the Corps of Guides. He studied for a London School of Theology degree in Divinity at Bishop’s University, Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada, before returning to England to study engineering. He returned to Canada and married Alice Lydia Meigs in 1901, who died in 1907. In 1915, he enlisted in the 117th (Eastern Townships) Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. After he signed up in 1915, he served originally in the overseas unit, 4th University Company and then joined Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in the field during the Ypres Salient on 14 May 1916. He was taken prisoner of war on 2 June 1916 after he was buried during an enemy bombardment and received severe back injuries. After his discharge from German hospitals, he was held at Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. He was repatriated to England on 11 January 1919, spending time in military hospitals until he discharged himself in September 1919. He was initiated as a Craft freemason in Golden Rule Lodge, No. 5, Stanstead, Quebec in 1911, serving as Worshipful Master in 1922. He was appointed Senior Grand Deacon, Grand Lodge of Quebec in 1942. In 1914 he visited England and studied many texts at the Library of Grand Lodge, Freemasons' Hall, London and at the British Museum. In 1914 he was exalted as a Royal Arch freemason in Lively Stone Chapter, Stanstead, Quebec, where he served as First Principal in 1922. He was one of the original members of the Philalethes Society, founded in 1928 and was a member of the Society of Blue Friars. He joined the Ancient and Accepted Rite in Lodge of Perfection, Newport, Vermont. He was editor of The Builder, the journal of the National Masonic Research Association, from 1925 to 1930. He returned to Stanstead, Quebec, Canada after The Builder collapsed in 1930. He joined the Correspondence Circle of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London in 1922. He joined Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London as a full member in 1948. He visited England in 1922 in order to meet many scholars of freemasonry. He wrote extensively on various aspects of freemasonry. He underwent extensive surgery in 1960 from which he never fully recovered and spent much of his remaining life in hospital. He served as Mayor and Engineer of Stanstead, Quebec from 1934 to 1946. He died on 5 December 1963 aged 87 and was buried at Crystal Lake Cemetery, Stanstead, Quebec, Canada.

Biography provided courtesy of Museum of Freemasonry, UK.

Laliberté, Norman (1925-2021)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1925- 2021

Mr. Laliberté was born in Worcester, Massachusetts but was raised in Montréal. He studied art at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, the Chicago Institute of Design, Canbrook Academy of Arts, Illinois Institute of Technology, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame University and he received an Honourary Doctorate from McGill University in 1986. In the mid-sixties he did a series of painting and banners illustrating medieval scenes incorporating much of the symbolism and ceremony associated with the Middle Ages. He died at his home in Nahant, Massachusetts in September, 2021 at the age of 95.

Muhlstock, Louis (1901-2001)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1901-2001

Louis Muhlstock was born in Narajow, Galicia, Ukraine in 1901. In 1911 he made his way to Canada when he and his family joined his father who had immigrated to Montréal in 1908. As a teenager, he studied drawing at the Monument National Conseil des Arts and Manufactures under the guidance of Edmond Dyonnet (1859-1954) and Joseph Saint-Charles (1868-1956). He then joined the Art Association of Montréal from 1920 to 1928 attending evening classes with William Brymner (1855-1925). In 1926 he also attended classes at the École des Beaux Arts de Montréal. In 1928 he had finally saved enough money to go to Paris, France and it was there that he studied with Louis-François Bilhoul (1874-1947). Quote “It is with Bilhoul that I really started to paint. He was a very fine, sincere painter, in the tradition of the old masters.”
Muhlstock continued to paint, make prints and draw throughout his long lifetime. He died in Montréal in 2001.

Whistler, James McNeill (1834-1903)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1834-1903

American artist James McNeil Whistler was born at Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1834. Whistler spent his boyhood in Russia, returning to United States in 1849. He attended West Point, (1851-54) and had drawing lessons from Robert Weir (1803-1889). In 1855 he went to Paris and studied painting under Marc Gabriel Charles Gleyre (1806-1874) After 1859, Whistler lived chiefly in London although he visited Venice in 1879. He was influenced by Henri Fantin-Latoru (1836-1904), Gustave Courbet (1819-1877), and by Japanese prints. He died in London in 1903.

Dupuis-Myhul, Mimi (1942- )

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1942-

Born in Liège, Belgium, artist Mimi Dupuis-Myhul often worked with enameled copper and wood creating wall sculptures such as "Lumière". Dupuis' connection to Bishop's was she was the former wife of Bishop's faculty member Dr. Ivan Myhul.

Gale, Samuel

  • Person
  • 1747-1826

Samuel Gale was born at Kimpton, Hants, England, on October 14, 1747. He was raised and educated in England and came to the American Colonies in 1770. He apparently had a special knowledge of surveying, since he published The Complete Surveyor in March 1772. His wife, Rebecca, daughter of Col. Samuel Wells, was born at Deerfield, Mass., on January 23rd, 1752. They were married on June 25th, 1773, and she died at Farnham on January 23rd, 1826. They had two children, a son Samuel, who married Mary Matilda Hawley, of St. Armand West, on November 6th, 1839, and a daughter Hannah, who married Whipple Wells on June 29, 1814.
During his residence in New England his attachment to the Royal cause was very definite and he could not tolerate any opinion to the contrary. Being accustomed in his homeland to seeing the yeomanry only as obedient servants, his indignation knew no bounds when he witnessed their rebellion against constituted authority. His outspoken opinion resulted in his arrest on several occasions and in April 1776, when he was finally released on parole, he realized that he was ill-prepared to participate in civil commotion, and moved with his family to Quebec. Here he was employed by the Government, later as Secretary to Governor Prescott. He was one of the leading applicants for the Township of Farnham, and on October 22nd, 1798, they obtained the grant of this Township, consisting of twenty-three thousand acres.
In 1799 Gale accompanied the Governor to England. On his return, at about fifty-five years of age, he entered into the simple but arduous life of a pioneer farmer. He died at Farnham on June 27th, 1826, and was buried on his property, along with his wife and daughter. A funeral monument was erected and is still standing, being the property of the Brome County Historical Society since 1901.

Boivin, Horace

  • Person
  • 1905-1994

Pierre Horace Boivin est né à Granby le 24 septembre 1905 du mariage de Pierre-Ernest Boivin, maire de Granby de 1915 à 1934, et d’Alma Comtois. Il a épousé Frances Bergeron le 20 janvier 1940, à Granby. Le couple a donné naissance à onze enfants. Pierre Horace Boivin est décédé à Granby le 17 mai 1994. Pierre Horace Boivin fait ses études au collège commercial de Granby et au Mont Saint-Louis, à Montréal. Il débute en affaires vers 1934 au sein de l’entreprise fondée par son père, la Granby Elastic Web. Marchant dans les traces politiques de son père, il accède à la mairie de Granby en 1939, un poste qu’il occupe 25 ans sans interruption, jusqu’en 1963. Au cours de cette période, il s’implique à divers titres au sein de commissions gouvernementales et d’associations de bienfaisance et de loisirs. Il a été président des campagnes des bons de la Victoire entre 1940 et 1945, de la Chambre de commerce de la province de Québec et de la Fédération canadienne des maires et municipalités. Il fut également délégué officiel des maires du Canada aux conférences de l’Union internationale des villes et pouvoirs locaux tenues en Europe entre 1948 et 1963. Sur le plan local, il est l'un des instigateurs du Jardin zoologique de Granby. Horace Boivin quitte la politique municipale en 1963, mais n’abandonne pas pour autant la scène publique. Il préside le comité des célébrations des fêtes du centenaire de la Confédération de 1967 et est nommé commissaire du pavillon chrétien de l’Expo universelle de Montréal. De 1969 à 1984, il occupe le poste de commissaire industriel à la Ville de Granby. Au cours des dix dernières années de sa vie, il est directeur des relations publiques pour la même municipalité.

Savage, Ellis A.

  • Person
  • 1875-1903

Ellis Savage est né le 22 septembre 1875 à Granby. Il y meurt prématurément le 14 février 1903, terrassé par une pneumonie. Il est le fils de Mary Bradford et d'Alonzo C. Savage, commerçant et maire de Granby de 1877 à 1892. Ellis Savage épouse Mary Fuller, d'East Farnham, au mois d'août 1901. Engagé au commerce de son père avec son frère Raymond, Ellis Savage en devient associé au tournant du XXe siècle. Photographe amateur de talent, c'est à Ellis Savage que l'on doit les plus belles photos de Granby de la fin du XIXe siècle.

Porter, Clinton D.

  • Person
  • 1888-1981

Clinton D. Porter est né le 24 mai 1888. Il est le fils de Forest Porter et de Carrie Bressie. En 1911, il épouse Eva L. Gilman à l'église méthodiste St Paul de Waterloo. Il décède en 1981 à sa résidence de la rue Denison (Granby), où il habite depuis 1916. En 1910, après des études en comptabilité, Clinton D. Porter entre au service de la Miner Rubber. Il en devient gérant en 1930, un poste qu'il occupe jusqu'à sa retraite, en 1957. Parallèlement à sa longue carrière au sein de l'entreprise, C. D. Porter est un actif partisan du mouvement scout. Il est secrétaire du Granby Boy Scout Group de 1927 à 1946 et commissaire adjoint du district de 1934 à 1966. Son rôle lui vaut seize citations d'honneur, dont la très convoitée Silver Acorn pour sa contribution exceptionnelle au développement du mouvement scout anglophone du Canada.

Laliberté, Florand

  • Person
  • 1928-1997

Florand Laliberté est né en 1928 du mariage d'Arthur Laliberté et d'Eldéa Rivard. Le 30 octobre 1954, il épouse Monique Bruneau à l'église Saint-Eugène de Granby; le couple aura deux enfants. Florand Laliberté est décédé le 15 juillet 1997, à l'âge de 69 ans. Florand Laliberté entreprend sa carrière de photographe en 1947, à l'âge de dix-huit ans. Il ouvre un premier studio au 203, rue Principale, face à la rue Saint-Joseph, au milieu des années 1950. Il se spécialise dans la photo de studio, de groupes scolaires et de mariages. Au début des années 1980, il déménage son studio au 20, rue Gill, où il pratique jusqu'à sa retraite, en 1993.

Matton, Jean-Paul

  • Person
  • 1919-1999

Jean-Paul Matton est né à Granby le 25 septembre 1919. Il est le fils d'Edgar Matton et Flora Messier. Le 2 décembre 1961, il épouse Gilberte Desmarais avec qui il a deux fils. Son décès survient à Granby, le 14 mai 1999. L'intérêt de Jean-Paul Matton pour la photographie remonte à 1939. Enrôlé dans l'armée canadienne l'année suivante, il suit des cours et acquiert une formation dans ce domaine. La Deuxième Guerre mondiale terminée, il retourne à l'emploi de la compagnie de textile Nordic. Ce n'est qu'en 1950 qu'il ouvre un studio sur la rue Saint-Antoine, à Granby, et que débute véritablement sa carrière de photographe et de cinéaste. En 1958, il devient le seul photographe officiel du quotidien La Voix de l'Est. Deux ans plus tard, il ferme son studio et se consacre principalement à son métier de photographe de presse. Pendant dix-huit ans (1958-1976), Jean-Paul Matton fixe sur pellicule les événements marquants de l'histoire de Granby et des municipalités environnantes. Parallèlement, il effectue des contrats à la pige pour le service des nouvelles régionales de la télévision de Radio Canada et il produit de courts messages publicitaires. Encouragé par ses succès, il installe en 1975 un petit studio dans le sous-sol de sa résidence et se consacre à la production de films promotionnels destinés aux salles de cinéma et aux ciné-parcs du Québec. En 1987, la compagnie Kodak, en reconnaissance de son travail, soutiendra sa candidature auprès de l'American Film Institute, où il sera admis la même année.

Call, Frank Oliver (1878-1956)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1878-1956

Frank Oliver Call, poet, travel, write and professor, was born in West Brome, Québec in 1878. A life-long academic, Call received his BA (first class honours in French and English) (1905) and his MA (1908) from Bishop’s University. He later attended the universities of Paris and Marburg, earning his DCL (Doctor of Civil Law), and conducting his post-graduate studies at McGill University. From 1908 until his retirement, Call served as a professor of modern languages at McGill and Bishop’s University. Frank Call won the Québec Literary Competition Award in 1924 for his sonnet collection "Blue Homespun". He served as president of the Eastern Townships Art Association (1942-43) and was a member of the advisory council on awards for Canadian Poetry Magazine (1936-45), the Canadian Authors Association and Pen Club.
Professor Call died at Knowlton Québec in 1956.

Morgan, David (1943-2011)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1943-2011

David Morgan was born in Montréal, Québec in 1943. In the early 1960s, David graduated from the Montréal Museum of School of Art and Design where he studied painting under Arthur Lismer (1885-1969). He was awarded a one-year scholarship to study etching and engraving techniques with printmaker Moe Reinblatt (1917-1979). In 1982, David graduated from Bishop’s University with a B.A. Honours in Political Science. In 1994, he graduated from McGill University where he completed a Master’s Degree in Religious Studies. His McGill Master’s thesis was entitled "The Origin and Use of Compositional Geometry in Christian Painting".
Throughout forty years, David taught Art and Art History at a variety of academic levels. He was an instructor of drawing, painting, design and printmaking at the Montréal Museum School of Art and Design; at Bishop’s College School he was the Art Master for seven years. Over the course of twenty-two years, Morgan taught Art History and Criticism as well as studio courses at Champlain College in Lennoxville; he also lectured in Art History at Bishop’s University.
From 1986 to 1990, Morgan developed and operated the David Morgan Art Gallery in Lennoxville, where he show cased works of contemporary, as well as late 19th and early 20th century art. When Morgan retired from teaching at Champlain College in 1997, he concentrated on his own painting and his ongoing work as a board member of the Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation, which is dedicated to helping artists from around the world in their formative years.
David's work may be found in collections such as the Bronfman Collection of the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, The Royal Bank of Canada Head Office at Place Ville Marie, Bishop’s University, Bishop’s College School, and several private collections in Canada and Europe.
David Morgan died in Kingston Ontario in 2011.

Wolf, Joseph (1820-1899)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1820-1899

Josef Wolf was born in the Eifel on 22 January 1820 on a farm in Mörz in Münstermaifeld. As a child he was known for his artistic talent. After finishing school in Metternich he was trained in Koblenz from 1836 to 1839 as a lithographer.

Through the mediation of the Frankfurter explorer Eduard Rüppel (1794-1884) in 1840 he came into contact with Johann Jacob Kaup (1803-1873) at the Grand Ducal natural history collection in Darmstadt. He promoted the extraordinary talent of the young artist and recommended him to his colleagues Hermann Schlegel (1804-1884) in Leiden and John Gould (1804-1881) in London as an illustrator.

From 1848 onwards Wolf lived and worked in London, where he quickly became the most important animal painter of the 19th century.

Results 1 to 30 of 2443