Showing 2444 results

Authority record

Gill, Mary Catherine (1861-1946)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1861-1946

Mary Catherine (Minnie) Gill was born in Pierreville , Québec in 1861. She was an artist known for her landscapes of the Eastern Townships and Charlevoix regions. She exhibited at the Art Association of Montréal Spring Exhibitions from 1897 to 1920 and at Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1899. A retrospective exhibition of her works was held at the Uplands Cultural and Heritage Centre, Sherbrooke in 2008. She died in Lennoxville, Québec in 1946.

Voyer, Monique (1928- 2021)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1928-2021

Monique Voyer was born in 1928 in the Eastern Townships. She studied at the Montréal School of Fine Arts and the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and completed several advanced courses in prints and multiple techniques. She was a college professor from 1972 to 1993. She is a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. She passed away January 2021 in Magog, Québec.

Monique Voyer est née en 1928 dans les Cantons de l’Est. Elle fait ses études à l’École des beaux-arts de Montréal et à l’École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts de Paris, en plus d’effectuer plusieurs stages de perfectionnement en estampes et techniques multiples. Elle fut professeure au collégial de 1972 à 1993. Elle est membre de l’Académie royale des arts du Canada. Elle est décédée en janvier 2021 à Magog, Québec.

Westover, Stephen

  • Person
  • 1786-1826

Stephen Westover, born at Caldwell's Manor, Quebec (Canada) on October 11 or November 24, 1786, son of Moses Westover and his wife Elizabeth Holmes, was the second youngest in a family of eight boys and three girls. Moses Westover came from Sheffield, Mass., in 1785, first settling at Caldwell's Manor, moving to Sutton in 1802.
Stephen Westover was a self-taught land surveyor, and practiced his profession in Brome and Missisquoi Counties. His commission appointing him Surveyor of Lands was issued under date of March 9, 1816. On December 9, 1816 he married Dorinda Ball, daughter of Jacob Ball (who built the first frame house in the County of Brome) and Elizabeth Stone. They had three daughters and two sons: Elizabeth, born in 1817; Sophronia, in 1819; Olive, in 1821; Roswell William, in 1823 and Stephen Egbert, in 1825.
On March 3, 1814, Stephen was appointed Ensign and Quartermaster of the Second Battalion of the Militia of the Townships, and on March 10, 1824, he was promoted to Captain. Later that year, on May 20, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace.
On Thursday, October 5, 1826, barely ten years after Westover married, he met a sudden death when he fell overboard from a ferry boat on the St. Lawrence River. His cousin Catherine Westover and her husband Henry Rosenberry also fell in the water but survived. He was buried in the Spring of 1827.

McCallum, William (1875-1947)

  • Person
  • 1875-1947

William (Bill) McCallum was born the 8 of December 1875 on Brion Island in the Magdalen Islands in the Gulf of the St. Lawrence. Only two houses were on the island. The first one was the house of William Dingwell, grandfather of Bill McCallum. The second one was owned by Bill’s father, Singleton McCallum. The father and grandfather were lighthouse keepers.
When he was young, Bill was in an accident and injured his right leg. The injury became infected and his father called a horse doctor to treat him. To fight the infection the doctor scraped the femur without anesthetic. After this event his leg bone stopped growing resulting in his right leg being seven inches shorter. He grew to be over six feet tall anyway.
Bill McCallum learned to read, write and play violin by himself. He entertained his family by playing melodic Scottish reels on his violin. Another ability he had, and that gave him his surname of ‘’Glass Man’’: he was able to nail glass. He apparently realized his ability while doing repairs at a fish cannery on the island.
He arrived in the Eastern Townships in 1921 and he went to live with his brother Charles near Randboro. He opened a cabinetmaker shop in Sawyerville in which he repaired and made furniture. He was rapidly recognized for his talent as a woodworker and carpenter. He was also known for his ability to nail glass in various ways. He would sign his furniture by nailing a small piece of glass on it and nailing beer bottles to telephone poles. However, he wasn’t a showman, only using his ability to impress when he wanted. He refused all kinds of payment because he thought it would make his ability disappear. He used to say that his ability was given by devil’s elves or God’s elves, depending on the day. His niece Wilma McCallum Knopp was impressed with her uncle. She said that sometimes, if he was holding her arm or shoulder, she was able to nail glass, too.
Bill McCallum was a fan of Jack Dempsey, world heavyweight boxing champion from 1919 to 1926. He met Dempsey once in New York. Overall, he lived a lowkey life and was never married. He died the 1 of January 1947 and was buried at the Maple Leaf Cemetery in Randboro.

Wheeler, John Austin

  • Person
  • 1864-1932

John Austin Wheeler, son of Thomas W. Wheeler and Anna E. Duboyce, was one of the prominent Knowlton photographers of the period. Wheeler had his own studio in Knowlton and Cowansville from 1890 to 1897. He specialized in studio portraits and exterior scenery and buildings. He married Edith Elizabeth Collins, daughter of Azro Collins and Mary Eliza Brimmer, and they had ten children, including Rhoda Julia, who married Harry Small Northrup. She was a volunteer for many years and the first woman president of the Board at the Brome County Historical Society.

Thomas, Daniel Sr.

  • E001
  • Person
  • d. 1855 or 1856

Daniel Thomas left Woodstock, Vermont to settle in Melbourne Township at the beginning of the 19th century. On 24 August 1835, he married Elizabeth Ann Armstrong, who came from Belfast, Ireland. They had five children: Daniel (1835), Samuel Simpson Wood (1837), Henrietta Maria (1839), Laura Ann (1843), and Charles Metcalfe (1847). Daniel Thomas had a notarial practice in Melbourne for many years and was held in high regard in the community, in particular in the field of education. He died in 1855 or 1856.

Knowlton Conference Association

  • Corporate body

The Knowlton Conference was an annual gathering of Christian workers during the summer. The first Conference was held August 11, 1902 at Knowlton. In 1932, the Conference ended due to financial difficulties.

Prime Family

  • Family
  • 1825-1913

Benjamin Worcester Prime (1805-1884) and his brother Thomas Merrell Prime (1800-1844) came to live in Dunham Township around 1820 [?]. The two families went to live in Brome, where Benjamin was a shoemaker and Thomas purchased the farm afterwards known as the Lyman Farmer place at the southeast corner of Brome, near the West Bolton line on the old Magog Road [Stagecoach]. There, he built a hotel, which became known as the Prime Tavern. Dr. Thomas Merrell Prime [Jr] (1836-1913) was born in Dunham and studied medicine in the U.S.A. He bought out the practice of Dr. Charles Cotton and lived in Brome until 1874, when he moved to Knowlton.

Scowen family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1882-

Herbert Scowen (1882-1969), born in England and married in 1905 to Cordelia (Della) Scowen (1883-1973), the daughter of Samuel Keynes (?-?) and Emma Keynes (?-?). Herbert and Cordelia (Della) Scowen immigrated to Canada in 1909. Herbert participated in the First World War. Their son, Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989), married to Eulah Reed (1900-1993) in 1930; Roland Scowen (ca. 1908-1969), married to Betty Scowen ([19?]-?); and Marjorie (ca. 1915-?), married to Gordon ([19?]-?).

Philip H. Scowen and Eulah A. Reed, married 26 July 1930 in North Hatley, had three children: son Philip Reed (known as Reed) (married Mary Anne Winterer in September 1956), daughter Annis Lee (known as Lee) (married Dr. Matthew Philip Campione on 7 January 1956 in North Hatley) and son Philip (born 20 Nov. 1937). Philip H. Scowen was sales manager for the East Angus branch of the Brompton Pulp and Paper Co.

Milne, Henrietta Kathleen Warren, 1911-2001

  • Person
  • 1911-2001

Henrietta Kathleen Warren was born on 21 January 1911. She was the daughter of Alice Frances Rattray, known as "Kitty," born in Quebec City (14 September 1881-19 April 1968, Magog), the daughter of David Rattray and Henrietta Charlotte Ahern and Herbert Lawrence Warren, born London, Ontario (23 April 1881-19 June 1952, Cobourg, Ontario) son of Thomas Brimage Warren and Mary Martha Hamilton. Herbert and Alice had three children, all born in Montreal: Herbert Hamilton Warren (25 April 1908- 9 January 1987, Ottawa), Henrietta Kathleen (Kay), and Mary Hamilton Warren (16 February 1913- 2 July 1960, Magog).

Herbert Lawrence Warren, in partnership with with Mr. Dale, founded of the Warrendale Shirt Company in 1927. He was also involved with The Montreal Quilting Company. Herbert Hamilton, his son, was Secretary Treasurer of Warrendale for most of his working life. He expanded to include the Belding-Corticelli Company, which included the factory in Coaticook, a lace factory in Ways Mills, a warehouse and a factory in St. Jean sur Richelieu. Herbert Hamilton became a director of Belding-Corticelli, Warrendale, the Montreal Quilting Company, and Iroquois Chemicals.

Henrietta Kathleen graduated from McGill University in 1932. She was married to Harry Austin Milne in 1941. She had two daughters: Catherine (b. 1946) and Jean (b. 1948), who both attended McGill.

Member of the Board since 1971, H. K. Milne became President of the Memphremagog Library in 1974 and assumed this responsibility until 1993 when it was municipalized. All those years, she worked hard to defend the interests of the library. Its growth is indeed due to her devoted work. Beyond her noteworthy role in the growth of the Memphremagog Library, her community involvement is represented through her participation in numerous other organizations and projects, such as the founding of Pinecroft Residence in Magog, Social Services Sherbrooke, the Magog District Home and School Association, the 1st Magog Company of Girl Guides, the Sherbrooke University Women's Club, and the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation, among other things. Her significant contribution to the community was recognized in 2004 when the Municipality of Magog named a street in her honour.

She also maintained a great interest in the history of Magog and the Eastern Townships, represented by her collection of historical articles and photographs.

H. K. Milne died 5 April 2001 at Magog. She is buried in Pine Hill Cemetery.

Milne, Francis Joseph (1870-1948)

  • Person
  • 1870-1948

Francis Joseph Milne was born in 1870 in Rochdale, England. He married Catherine (Kate) Mallinson ([before 1870]-1924) and together they had the following children:

  • Frank Milne (1894-1970) married Evelyn (Eva) M. Truax (1895-1980) at the St. Luke’s Anglican Church in Magog on 10 October 1916. The couple lived at 24 Bethune Street in Sherbrooke and are buried at the Elmwood Cemetery. They had two children: John Riley (1922-1944) and Joan Elizabeth (b. 1926), who married Peter Brett. John was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force.
  • Allan Edward Milne, died 22 April 1900, aged 15 months.
  • Jessie Dorcas Milne (b. 1904) married Harry Jackson on 19 June 1930 at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Magog, and had two children: Christine C. and Phillip G. (d. 1978). They lived in various locations in Canada and the United States.
  • Harry Austin Milne (30 Aug. 1906-29 Dec. 1998) married H. Kathleen (Kay) Warren on 6 Sep. in 1941 in St. John’s, Newfoundland. The couple lived at 1 Hatley Street in Magog. They had two children: Catherine A. (b. Oct. 1946) and Jean F. (b. Mar. 1948).
  • Doris Kathleen (b. 1914) married Dr. Jacques Hébert on 22 December 1939 in Noranda, Que.

Francis J. Milne died 22 March 1948 at the home of his son, Harry, in Magog and is buried at the Pine Hill Cemetery.

Fargues, Jean

  • Person
  • 1779-18??

Jean Fargues is the son of Pierre Fargues and Henriette Guichaud of Quebec City being the 7th out of 9 children. After the death of her husband in 1780, Henriette married Thomas Dunn on November 27, 1783 and they had 3 children. Jean Fargues enrolled in the 60th Infantry Regiment on November 23, 1796 and was promoted to Lieutenant in 1798 and Captain in 1799. We lose track of Jean Fargues in 1804.

Reed family (Reedsville)

  • Family
  • 1834-

Wilder Reed (1834-?), married to Almira Bean (1836-?), had 5 sons and 2 daughters: Wesley Reed (1861-?), married to Lydia Hawse (1859-?); Alice Reed (ca. 1864-1881); Tommy Reed (1866-? ), married to Mary Woodward (1869-?); Cheney Reed (ca. 1869-?), married to Ada Hart ([18?]-?); Bert Reed (1874-1949), married to Ruth Little (1875-1967); George Reed (ca. 1878-?); Permillia Reed (ca. 1880-?). James B. Reed and Ruth Little had in turn 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-2010), married in 1938 to Rupert Littlejohn ([19?]-?)- the couple resided in Potsdam, NY; Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). Eulah taught at Buckingham High School.

Thwaites family (Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1811-

James Thwaites (1811-1890), married about 1836 to Ruth Hodgson (1807-1890), lived in Hatley. They were the parents of Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), married to Thomas Little (1840-1925); and Mary Margaret (1853-1824), married to Nelson LeBaron (1841-1915).

Little family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1841-

Thomas Little (1841-1925), married to Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), had 3 sons and 4 daughters: Taylor Little (ca. 1868-?); Thomas Little (ca. 1869-?); Bertha A. Little (ca. 1874-1903); Ruth Little (1875-1967), married in 1899 to J. B. Reed (1874-1949); Rosamond Little (1877-?); Edith M. Little (ca. 1880-?), married to C. P. Young (?-?); and Ray Little (1886-?).

Reed, James Bert, 1874-1949

  • Person
  • 1874-1949

Born in 1874 in North Hatley [Reedsville], he was the fourth son of Wilder Reed (1834-?) and Almira Bean (1836-?). J.B. Reed was a farmer, the founder in 1895 of the J.B. Reed & Sons mill in North Hatley, a founder and secretary of the United Farmers of Canada Organization, a president of the St. Francis District Holstein Breeders' Association, a member of the North Hatley Town Council and a member of the Universalist Church. Married to Ruth Little (1875-1967) in 1899, he had 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-?), married in 1938 to Robert Littlejohn ([19?]-?); Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). He was a candidate for the Reconstruction Party in the 1935 federal election. James B. Reed died in 1949 in North Hatley.

Westover, Moses

  • Person
  • 1744-1826

Moses Westover was born March 24, 1744 in Sheffield, Massachusetts (U.S.A.), son of John Westover and Rachel Morton. He married Elizabeth Holmes, daughter of Capt John Holmes III and Elizabeth Rachel Fellows, and they had 11 children. He was registered as a United Empire Loyalist in 1775 but had to move to Caldwell's Manor in 1785, along with his wife and seven children (two had died young). They had two more children during their stay at Caldwell's Manor. Moses Westover received a land grant on September 1st, 1801 in Stanbridge, Missisquoi, Lower Canada, consisting of 1000 acres: Range 2, lot 10 and Range 7, lots 17,18,19 and 21. In 1802, he received a land grant in Sutton Township, consisting of 200 acres in Range 10, lot 16. He sold this piece of land in December 1825, eleven month before he died on November 23, 1826. He is buried in the Pettes-Aseltine Cemetery, in Sutton Junction.

École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-[1931?]

Founded in February 1930 by Willie A. St-Pierre, Léon-C. Drolet and Dr. Raoul Laurence, the École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead was a choir and operatic association that was headquartered in Coaticook. The first music director was Oscar Cartier. At the outset, the École musicale aimed to give free weekly concerts at the Town Hall. It appears that the École Musicale was dissolved around 1931 or 1932.

Cloutier, Philibert Joseph Louis (1919-2005)

  • Person
  • 1919-2005

Philibert (Joseph Louis) Cloutier was born April 24, 1919 at Manseau, married Eva Carignan on May 25, 1945, and died May 29, 2005 in Coaticook.

Jenks, Archie, 1889-1938

  • Person

Archie Nathaniel Jenks was born the 14 October 1889 in Coaticook, the second youngest son of Leslie Hall Jenks and Nancy Cushing. While still a dental student at McGill University, Archie enlisted during World War I with the 13th Battalion of Royal Horse Guards, C.E.F. in 1915 where he served as a medical officer. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in March 1917, scoring seven victories as an observer and achieved the rank of Lieutenant. Archie was found temporarily unfit for active service in 1917 following an injury he sustained when his airplane was shot down by Germans and returned to Canada as an aviation instructor. He was honourably discharged in 1918 and, after finishing his studies, went on to have a dentistry practice in Montreal. He married Elizabeth McKim (1892-1980) and together they had one child, Anson N. Jenks (1929-1931). Archie committed suicide on the 29 July 1938, after shooting his wife. He is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.

Blackwood, Homer Mitchell

  • Person
  • 1924-1999

Son of James Blackwood and Bertha May Tibbits, he was raised in Knowlton and went the Knowlton High School were he graduated in 1941. He started working for Bell Canada right away. In 1943, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and graduated as a pilot. At the end of WWII, he came back to Knowlton and continued working for Bell Canada until his retirement in 1979. In the meantime, he was elected as a councillor in 1970 and became mayor of Brome Lake in 1971. Except for the 4-year term of 1987 to 1991, he was always reelected until he retired in September 1999. He died of a heart failure just two weeks after his difficult decision. Homer M. Blackwood was also a dedicated volunteer at the Brome County Historical Society and was elected President from 1968 to 1970.

Meekren, Robert James (1876-1963)

  • Person
  • 1876-1963

Robert James Meekren was born on 25 June 1876 in Lambeth, London, England, the son of Robert Charles Meekren and Eliza Alice nee Carter. The family immigrated to Canada when he was fifteen and settled at Stanstead, Quebec, Canada. Described as a textile manager and a widower, he served for three years as a sub-district intelligence officer in the Corps of Guides. He studied for a London School of Theology degree in Divinity at Bishop’s University, Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada, before returning to England to study engineering. He returned to Canada and married Alice Lydia Meigs in 1901, who died in 1907. In 1915, he enlisted in the 117th (Eastern Townships) Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. After he signed up in 1915, he served originally in the overseas unit, 4th University Company and then joined Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in the field during the Ypres Salient on 14 May 1916. He was taken prisoner of war on 2 June 1916 after he was buried during an enemy bombardment and received severe back injuries. After his discharge from German hospitals, he was held at Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. He was repatriated to England on 11 January 1919, spending time in military hospitals until he discharged himself in September 1919. He was initiated as a Craft freemason in Golden Rule Lodge, No. 5, Stanstead, Quebec in 1911, serving as Worshipful Master in 1922. He was appointed Senior Grand Deacon, Grand Lodge of Quebec in 1942. In 1914 he visited England and studied many texts at the Library of Grand Lodge, Freemasons' Hall, London and at the British Museum. In 1914 he was exalted as a Royal Arch freemason in Lively Stone Chapter, Stanstead, Quebec, where he served as First Principal in 1922. He was one of the original members of the Philalethes Society, founded in 1928 and was a member of the Society of Blue Friars. He joined the Ancient and Accepted Rite in Lodge of Perfection, Newport, Vermont. He was editor of The Builder, the journal of the National Masonic Research Association, from 1925 to 1930. He returned to Stanstead, Quebec, Canada after The Builder collapsed in 1930. He joined the Correspondence Circle of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London in 1922. He joined Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London as a full member in 1948. He visited England in 1922 in order to meet many scholars of freemasonry. He wrote extensively on various aspects of freemasonry. He underwent extensive surgery in 1960 from which he never fully recovered and spent much of his remaining life in hospital. He served as Mayor and Engineer of Stanstead, Quebec from 1934 to 1946. He died on 5 December 1963 aged 87 and was buried at Crystal Lake Cemetery, Stanstead, Quebec, Canada.

Biography provided courtesy of Museum of Freemasonry, UK.

Laliberté, Norman (1925-2021)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1925- 2021

Mr. Laliberté was born in Worcester, Massachusetts but was raised in Montréal. He studied art at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, the Chicago Institute of Design, Canbrook Academy of Arts, Illinois Institute of Technology, St. Mary's College, Notre Dame University and he received an Honourary Doctorate from McGill University in 1986. In the mid-sixties he did a series of painting and banners illustrating medieval scenes incorporating much of the symbolism and ceremony associated with the Middle Ages. He died at his home in Nahant, Massachusetts in September, 2021 at the age of 95.

Muhlstock, Louis (1901-2001)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1901-2001

Louis Muhlstock was born in Narajow, Galicia, Ukraine in 1901. In 1911 he made his way to Canada when he and his family joined his father who had immigrated to Montréal in 1908. As a teenager, he studied drawing at the Monument National Conseil des Arts and Manufactures under the guidance of Edmond Dyonnet (1859-1954) and Joseph Saint-Charles (1868-1956). He then joined the Art Association of Montréal from 1920 to 1928 attending evening classes with William Brymner (1855-1925). In 1926 he also attended classes at the École des Beaux Arts de Montréal. In 1928 he had finally saved enough money to go to Paris, France and it was there that he studied with Louis-François Bilhoul (1874-1947). Quote “It is with Bilhoul that I really started to paint. He was a very fine, sincere painter, in the tradition of the old masters.”
Muhlstock continued to paint, make prints and draw throughout his long lifetime. He died in Montréal in 2001.

Whistler, James McNeill (1834-1903)

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1834-1903

American artist James McNeil Whistler was born at Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1834. Whistler spent his boyhood in Russia, returning to United States in 1849. He attended West Point, (1851-54) and had drawing lessons from Robert Weir (1803-1889). In 1855 he went to Paris and studied painting under Marc Gabriel Charles Gleyre (1806-1874) After 1859, Whistler lived chiefly in London although he visited Venice in 1879. He was influenced by Henri Fantin-Latoru (1836-1904), Gustave Courbet (1819-1877), and by Japanese prints. He died in London in 1903.

Dupuis-Myhul, Mimi (1942- )

  • BUArtColl
  • Person
  • 1942-

Born in Liège, Belgium, artist Mimi Dupuis-Myhul often worked with enameled copper and wood creating wall sculptures such as "Lumière". Dupuis' connection to Bishop's was she was the former wife of Bishop's faculty member Dr. Ivan Myhul.

Gale, Samuel

  • Person
  • 1747-1826

Samuel Gale was born at Kimpton, Hants, England, on October 14, 1747. He was raised and educated in England and came to the American Colonies in 1770. He apparently had a special knowledge of surveying, since he published The Complete Surveyor in March 1772. His wife, Rebecca, daughter of Col. Samuel Wells, was born at Deerfield, Mass., on January 23rd, 1752. They were married on June 25th, 1773, and she died at Farnham on January 23rd, 1826. They had two children, a son Samuel, who married Mary Matilda Hawley, of St. Armand West, on November 6th, 1839, and a daughter Hannah, who married Whipple Wells on June 29, 1814.
During his residence in New England his attachment to the Royal cause was very definite and he could not tolerate any opinion to the contrary. Being accustomed in his homeland to seeing the yeomanry only as obedient servants, his indignation knew no bounds when he witnessed their rebellion against constituted authority. His outspoken opinion resulted in his arrest on several occasions and in April 1776, when he was finally released on parole, he realized that he was ill-prepared to participate in civil commotion, and moved with his family to Quebec. Here he was employed by the Government, later as Secretary to Governor Prescott. He was one of the leading applicants for the Township of Farnham, and on October 22nd, 1798, they obtained the grant of this Township, consisting of twenty-three thousand acres.
In 1799 Gale accompanied the Governor to England. On his return, at about fifty-five years of age, he entered into the simple but arduous life of a pioneer farmer. He died at Farnham on June 27th, 1826, and was buried on his property, along with his wife and daughter. A funeral monument was erected and is still standing, being the property of the Brome County Historical Society since 1901.

Boivin, Horace

  • Person
  • 1905-1994

Pierre Horace Boivin est né à Granby le 24 septembre 1905 du mariage de Pierre-Ernest Boivin, maire de Granby de 1915 à 1934, et d’Alma Comtois. Il a épousé Frances Bergeron le 20 janvier 1940, à Granby. Le couple a donné naissance à onze enfants. Pierre Horace Boivin est décédé à Granby le 17 mai 1994. Pierre Horace Boivin fait ses études au collège commercial de Granby et au Mont Saint-Louis, à Montréal. Il débute en affaires vers 1934 au sein de l’entreprise fondée par son père, la Granby Elastic Web. Marchant dans les traces politiques de son père, il accède à la mairie de Granby en 1939, un poste qu’il occupe 25 ans sans interruption, jusqu’en 1963. Au cours de cette période, il s’implique à divers titres au sein de commissions gouvernementales et d’associations de bienfaisance et de loisirs. Il a été président des campagnes des bons de la Victoire entre 1940 et 1945, de la Chambre de commerce de la province de Québec et de la Fédération canadienne des maires et municipalités. Il fut également délégué officiel des maires du Canada aux conférences de l’Union internationale des villes et pouvoirs locaux tenues en Europe entre 1948 et 1963. Sur le plan local, il est l'un des instigateurs du Jardin zoologique de Granby. Horace Boivin quitte la politique municipale en 1963, mais n’abandonne pas pour autant la scène publique. Il préside le comité des célébrations des fêtes du centenaire de la Confédération de 1967 et est nommé commissaire du pavillon chrétien de l’Expo universelle de Montréal. De 1969 à 1984, il occupe le poste de commissaire industriel à la Ville de Granby. Au cours des dix dernières années de sa vie, il est directeur des relations publiques pour la même municipalité.

Results 1 to 30 of 2444