Showing 2404 results

Authority record
Fortin, Germain
Person · 1917-2006

Germain Fortin nait à Granby le 17 octobre 1917. Il décède accidentellement au même endroit le 12 novembre 2006. Il est le fils de Guillaume (Willie) et de Anna Germain. Il épouse Annette Ménard le 3 août 1946, à la paroisse Notre-Dame de Granby. Germain Fortin fait d’abord son cours primaire au collège Sacré-Cœur de la rue Saint-Joseph, puis se rend au Séminaire de Saint-Hyacinthe pour faire ses études secondaires. Avant d’être appelé par les forces armées canadiennes, en 1942, il acquiert une formation universitaire en philosophie à Ottawa, puis se rend à l’Université Laval de Québec où il est diplômé en biochimie. Son service militaire au sein du corps canadien d’ingénieurs se fait au pays. Après la guerre, de 1946 à 1954, Germain Fortin occupe un poste dans les laboratoires de teintures de l’usine Verney Mills, à Granby. En 1954, il entre au service du Gouvernement fédéral pour la Voie maritime du Saint-Laurent et y demeure jusqu’à sa retraite, en 1982.

Savage, Ellis A.
Person · 1875-1903

Ellis Savage nait le 22 septembre 1875 à Granby. Il y meurt prématurément le 14 février 1903, terrassé par une pneumonie. Il est le fils de Mary Bradford et d'Alonzo C. Savage, commerçant et maire de Granby de 1877 à 1892. Ellis Savage épouse Mary Fuller, d'East Farnham, au mois d'août 1901. Engagé au commerce de son père avec son frère Raymond, Ellis Savage en devient associé au tournant du XXe siècle. Photographe amateur de talent, c'est à Ellis Savage que l'on doit les plus belles photos de Granby de la fin du XIXe siècle.

Whitcomb, Rufus
Person · 1784-1831

Son of Israel Whitcomb (1746-1803) and Eunice Wilson (1737-1814), Rufus Whitcomb (1784-1831) was born on 8 May 1784 in Gardner, Worcester County, Massachusetts. He grew up with his sisters and brothers, Israel Whitcomb (1776–1840), Nathaniel K Whitcomb (1779–1855), William Whitcomb (1786–1837), Cathy Whitcomb (1786–1789), Catherine Whitcomb (1790–1866) and Mark Whitcomb (1792–1845). Rufus Whitcomb married Anna Partridge (1783–1861) on 25 February 1807 in Gardner, they had no children. At some point in his life, his family moved to Shefford, Lower Canada. Rufus Whitcomb died on 22 May 1830, and he was buried in Waterloo, Quebec, Canada.

Sources : familysearch.org and findagrave.com.

McCorkill, John Charles
Person · 1854-1920

Born in Farnham on August 31, 1854, he was the son of Robert McCorkill and Margaret Meighen. He received his education in Farnham and Saint-Jean. At the age of 16, he served in the Fenian Raid in 1870 as he was a Captain in the 60th Battalion of Missisquoi County. He completed a Bachelor of Laws degree from McGill University in 1877 and was called to the Bar of Quebec in 1878. He practiced law in Montreal, Farnham and Cowansville.
John Charles McCorkill married Apphia Mary Leonard, daughter of Elijah Leonard and Emeline Woodman in London, Ontario in 1884. They had no children.
In the political field, he was a liberal candidate in the 1886 election and 1888 by-election in Missisquoi and finally was elected in 1897. Appointed to the Legislative Council of Quebec for the division of Bedford in 1898, he resigned in 1903 and was elected in Brome the same year, being reelected in 1904. In 1906, he resigned as he was named Judge of the Superior Court for the Province of Quebec.
On a municipal level, he was councellor in Cowansville from 1890 to 1891 and mayor from 1892 to 1894. Member of many different intellectual organizations, he was also president of the Missisquoi Historical Society. He died in Quebec City on March 10, 1920 at the age of 65 and was buried in the Sillery Mount Hermon Cemetery.

Lawrence, H. H.

Peace River, N.W.T
His letter to the people of South Stukely, dated February 9, 1891.

Henry Lawrence, son of Isaac and Caroline (Elmer) Lawrence of South Stukely, Quebec, and grandson of Henry Lawrence, founder of Lawrenceville, Quebec was, like his forefathers, endowed with the spirit of pioneering. After fighting with the Northern Army in the American Civil War, he and his brother, Erastus, in 1886 decided to move their families westward to the Peace River District.

The letter, written five years after life in the Northwest, describes the hardships of life in new places, but, that all through the struggle they were contented and happy, and, that the pure and health giving air of that great country, was an influence to stimulate to the utmost, to look upon difficulties and obstacles in their path, as something to surmount. It is a 24 page letter and it was addresses to especially named relatives and friends in Stukely so the letter was passed from family to family to be read.

Henry and his brother both taught at the Mission at Fort Vermilion while carrying on farming activities in that area. He mentions his son, Sheridan, who, it is known, married Julia Scott, niece of Bishop Bornpas and had a family of 8 daughters and 7 sons and all were educated. Sheridan owned a whole village in the West. He built Lawrence Point School, opened a store at Fort Vermilion and one at Hayes Lake, built a Church, operated about 1000 acres of land and was sometimes called the "Emperor of the Peace." He lived to see a telegraph line completed to the area in 1931.

The letter is an example to show how the early settlers retained their art of pioneering by moving on to new, uncleared, regions to build on.

Hopper, Sam, 1899-1980
Person · 1899-1980

Sam Hopper was born on 15 February 1899 in Wilson's Mills. In 1921, he moved to Huntingville where he and his brother, Earl, bought a farm, also working at Veneer factory in Waterville. Sam married Aveline Sarrasin (1904-1986) the 8 June 1927. In the 1940s, he and his wife moved to Waterville. He then ran a sawmill in Waterville.

As a child, Sam Hopper learned to play the fiddle and began to play at parties at age 12. In 1945, he began to participate in amateur shows with Norman Masters. Soon after, they formed a band with Sam Hopper's wife, Albert Nutbrown and Stewart Deacon. For about 30 years, the group played at marriages and dances in the Eastern Townships and were on the radio for 25 years.

Sam Hopper died on 29 March 1980.

Echenberg, Eddy, 1925-2014
Person · 1925-2014

Edwin "Eddy" Echenberg was born in Sherbrooke the 14 August 1925 to Jacob Echenberg and Sophy Shriar/Shrier. During his lifetime, he was a retail store owner, insurance salesman and avid collector. In 1950 he married Isabelle Boy, with whom he had one daughter, Cathy. He was the owner of his father's store, "Jack Echenberg and Sons" on Wellington Street in Sherbrooke where he worked from 1950 to 1967. After the store closed in 1967, he pursued a career with the Sun Life Insurance Co.

Mr. Echenberg's passion for collecting began in the early 1950s with a small set of coins and a few bank notes from the Eastern Township Bank. A decade later he sold his coin and bank note collection for $15,000, and a part of the collection found its way to the Bank of Canada Museum. His passion for collecting was rekindled in 1963 during a visit with his wife to Chicoutimi where he discovered antiques and antique shops. Two people who profoundly influenced his life were Father Léon Marcotte, archivist at the Sherbrooke Seminary Museum, and J. Douglas Ferguson of Stanstead, former president of the Canadian Manufacturing Association and an avid numismatist. In 2002, Mr. Echenberg donated a large part of his collection to the McCord Museum.

Mr. Echenberg died the 13 October 2014 and his wife, Isabelle, died the 14 August 2015. Both are buried at the Riverview Cemetery in Scotstown.

Person · 1883-1961

Born in Coaticook on January 10, 1883, Willie E. Dionne was the son of Pierre Dionne and Sophie Valade. He learned the plumbing trade and joined his brother Jean-Baptiste Dionne in the same trade. In 1919, he went into partnership with Louis Lestage in plumbing and heating until 1934, when he took the name W. E. Dionne et Fils. Husband of Albina Roy. Children: Jean-Baptiste, Joseph, Philias, Willie, Maximilienne, Sophie and Anna. Willie Dionne died on April 17, 1961.

Family · 1904- c.1994

Jessie Dorcus Milne Jackson was born in 1904 to parents Katherine Mallinson and Francis Joseph Milne She married Harry Jackson on 19 June 1930 at St. Luke's Anglican Church in Magog, and had two children: Christine “Cathy” C. and Phillip G. They lived in various locations in Canada and the United States, however towards the end of her life she settled down in Hackettstown, New Jersey.

Person · 1914

Doris Kathleen Milne was born in 1914 as the youngest child of Catherine Mallinson (c. 1870-1924) and Francis Joseph Milne (1870-1948). Doris Kathleen married Dr. Jacques Hébert on 22 December, 1939 in Noranda, Que. Doris was teaching in Val D'Or at the time, when she met Jacques, who was a Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Physician. Doris and Jacques would eventually move to Manchester, New Hampshire. In 1958, while living in New Hampshire, they decided to seek a divorce. Doris married Robert Wallance "Bob" Davis in 1963 in Oakville, Ontario. Doris Kathleen Milne died in 1987 in Picton, Ontario.

Person · 1870-1948

Francis Joseph Milne was born in 1870 in Rochdale, England. He married Catherine (Kate) Mallinson ([before 1870]-1924) and together they had the following children: Frank Milne (1894-1970), Allan Edward Milne (died 22 April 1900, aged 15 months), Jessie Dorcas Milne (b. 1904), Harry Austin Milne, and Doris Kathleen (b. 1914).

Francis J. Milne worked for the Dominion Textile Company in Magog where he was overseer of the Folding Room for almost 20 years, retiring in December 1935 after 47 years of service. He was well travelled, both before and after retirement and documented his travels with photographs. Included among his travels were the Chicago Wrold's Fair in 1933, England in 1934 and Washington, DC in 1936, as well as other US cities where his daughter, Jessie, lived with her husband, Harry Jackson, who worked with failing textile plants.

Francis J. Milne died 22 March 1948 at the Sherbrooke Hospital and is buried at the Pine Hill Cemetery.

Verity, Barbara
Person

Barbara Verity, born in Montreal to Norman Verity (d. 1984) and Christena Bennett (d. 1991), has been deeply involved in the world of photo-journalism throughout her enduring career. Not only has Barbara's work appeared in multiple English newspapers, her dedication to this field extends beyond writing and photography, as shown by her editorial roles at the Sherbrooke Record from 1974 to 1977 and her subsequent editorship at the Townships Sun starting in 1988.

Barbara and her first husband, Kenneth Stevenson (d. 2018), had two sons, Scott, a well-known Townships writer, farmer and translator, who lives in Island Brook, and Gregory, who participated in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics as a rower and lives on Vancouver Island.

Graduating with a Master of Arts from Concordia’s Department of Communication Studies in 1989, Barbara has been author and co-author of several notable books. These include titles such as "A Community with Deep Roots Tenth Anniversary Commemorative Volume of Townshippers' Association" (1989), "35 Places to Cross-Country Ski in the Eastern Townships" (1996), "On the Move: An Outdoor Guide to the Eastern Townships" (1999), and "Even the Owl is Not Heard: David Thompson’s 1834 Journals in the Eastern Townships of Quebec" (2011).

Barbara is now living in Pointe Claire on Montreal Island near where she grew up in Lachine. She regularly visits the Eastern Townships where she is a long-standing member and former assistant director of Townshippers’ Association.

Person · 1893-1973

Leonard Arthur Auger was born 15 February 1893, in Magog, Que to parents Alfred Auger (1868-1950) and Ella Elmira Buzzell (1870-1934). On 25 November, 1915, Leonard married Clarida Darcy (1892-1969). Throughout his life, Leonard lived in Vermont, Massachusetts, and Quebec. He was employed as a personnel manager for Dominion Textile in Magog until his retirement in 1948. He also served on the Magog Protestant Board of School Commissioners. Leonard Auger became well known for his study of Indigenous and Eastern Townships history. He published several articles on his various history topics and lectured around the United States and Canada. He died on 25 January, 1973 and is buried with his wife in the Pine Hill Cemetery, Magog.

Epps, Bernard, 1936-2007
Person · 1936-2007

Bernard Epps was born in Whitstable, Kent county, England in 1936. In 1950, his family immigrated to Ohio. In 1953, he graduated from High School and began work as a draftsman in Columbus, to make money to fund his education at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. After four years of alternating between school and work, he voyaged with some friends to California, where he worked as a draftsman, designing ceramic microchips and working for (among other places) Litton industries. In 1965, he married Susan Dreger. In 1966, he purchased his father's farm in Gould Station, Quebec in order to devote his time to farming and writing. In 1967, his only child, Jennifer, was born. In the early to mid 1960s, he began his writing career, publishing several short stories, and it was in 1967, that he would publish his first novel, Pilgarlic the Death. In 1973, he published the immensely popular The Outlaw of Megantic. In the 1980s, he joined Charles Bury in running the Townships Sun, a newspaper devoted to representing the Eastern Townships Anglophone community. He continued to contribute to the paper late into life, writing mostly on the subjects of Townships' history and culture. In addition to his contributions to the Townships Sun, he also contributed significantly to the Sherbrooke Record, and in other newspapers and journals. Mr. Epps also spent some time as a teacher with adult extension programmes at Lennoxville's Champlain Regional college, and the Eastern Townships School board, teaching such subjects as creative writing and local history. In 1995, Mr. Epps moved to Lennoxville. Other notable publications on Mr. Epps' resume include: Tales of the Townships(1980)., The Royal Rifles of Canada in Hong Kong, 1941-1954 (1981)- editor., More Tales of the Townships (1985)., Second Blessing: a centennial history of the Sherbrooke Hospital, 1888-1988. (1988) - published in both French and English, The Eastern Townships Adventure (1992)., Please sir, I'd Rather be Ravished: selected rhymes and reasons (2000).

Bernard Epps passed away on 5 July 2007 in Kingston, Ontario at the age of 71.

Knowlton, Luke Jr.

Luke Knowlton Jr. was the son of Luke and Sarah (Holland) Knowlton of Newfane, Vt. The father, Luke was Judge of the Windham County Court 1787-1793 Luke Jr. was a very successful lawyer in his younger years in Vermont, practising with his brother Calvin. He married Charlotte Kenny of Newfane in 1799 All but one of their 14 children were born in Newfane, that was Almas A. who was born in Stukely, L.C. in 1822. The family had moved to Stukely in 1821 and settled on a farm near to his brother Silas Knowlton who was one of the first three settlers in that Township. The father, Judge Luke, who had upheld the British cause during the American Revolutionary War, had, as a Loyalist, received free land grants in Stukely and Orford Townships. Judge Luke did not move into Lower Canada but his sons and nephews were among the first settlers in Stukely.

Luke Jr. remained only a few years in Stukely removing his family in 1829 into Brome Township where his nephew, Paul Holland Knowlton, had already settled on the east shore of Brome Lake. Actually Luke had built a house closer to the Bolton Twp. line which is considered to be the first in the Knowlton area located near the extreme end of St. Paul's Road. A path led from his house over to Paul Holland Knowlton's on the Lake where the Golf Club is now.

Person · 1899-1975

Bessie Jane Banfill was born on 18 January 1899 on the family farm outside Richmond. Her parents were Enos Leroy Banfill and Sarah Augusta Healy. After some secretarial training, she obtained a position in the office of an asbestos mine near Thetford Mines and secured enough money to support her studies at the Sherbrooke Protestant Hospital, where she graduated in June 1923. Ms. Banfill traveled to Mutton Bay (Labrador) in 1928 and took a missionary training course at the United Church Training School in Toronto. After travelling to the Magdalene Islands, she opened the new W.M.S. Hospital at Smeaton, Saskatchewan in 1933 and was awarded the a medal from King George V in 1935. She went to the Indian Residential School at Ahousaht in 1937 and went back to the Labrador Mission in 1942-1944. After receiving a back injury that prevented her from doing full-time work, she did part-time duty at Cornwall General Hospital and later in Ottawa. Bessie Banfill wrote books and articles on her nursing experience. This includes titles such as "Labrador Nurse" (1952), "Nurse of the Islands" (1965) and "Pioneer Nurse" (1967). She died on November 13, 1975. Her body was given to Queen's University Medical School. She had never married.

Person

Catherine M. Day, a writer and historian of the Eastern Townships, was born in 1815 in East Farnham where her parents, Samuel Wells Townsend and Pamela Lawrence owned a farm. In 1840, she married Henry W. Day. The couple and their children lived in Sainte-Thérèse and later in Chambly, Quebec. Henry died in 1854, leaving Catherine with six children to support. She moved to Champlain, New York, where she taught in a young ladies' school. In 1861, she published a novel, "Alice Maynard". The same year, she returned to live in the Eastern Townships. In 1863, she published "Pioneers of the Eastern Townships" and in 1869 "History of the Eastern Townships". Later, she lived in Iowa, first with her daughter Mary and then with her son Samuel. Finally, she returned to the Townships to live with her daughter Pamelia Annie Pearson, wife of William Keene Knowlton. Catherine M. Day died in 1899 in South Stukely and is buried there.

Person · 1861-1942

Minnie Henrietta Bethune Hallowell was born in Sherbrooke on 4 February 1861. She was the daughter of John Hallowell, a lawyer, and Helen Maria Clark. On September 10th, 1890, she married Cecil H. Bowen, son of George Frederick Bowen, and had two children, Lloyd H. and Rose Meredyth. Minnie Hallowell Bowen was active in various philanthropic, patriotic, religious, and literary organizations such as the Women's Auxiliary Missionary Society, the Sherbrooke Patriotic Association, the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire, the Women's Conservative Association, the Canadian Authors' Association, and the Sherbrooke Choral Society. She published six books and booklets of poetry; she also wrote literary texts that were published in newspapers and periodicals. She used a few pen names: the Drum-Major, Jane of Brompton Road, and possibly Rapier. She died in Quebec City on August 1, 1942. Her funeral was held at Blake's Funeral Home (86 Queen Street) and St. Peter's Church, Sherbrooke, on August 4, 1942 and she was buried in the family lot at the Elmwood Cemetery in Sherbrooke.

Waldron, Mildred, 1924-2008
Person · 1924-2008

Mildred Ettra Waldron was born on 28 January 1924 in East Clifton. She was the daughter of Luman Augusta Waldron and Flora A. Cairns. She never married. She was a Townships author and researcher. She published family and local histories of the Compton County area and, in particular, the East Clifton area, such as the Descendants of T. Waldron and M. Morse, The Hills of Clifton, Sheepskin Joe and Descendants of Hugh E. Cairns and Sarah A Waldron.

Mildred passed away 21 May 2008 at the age of 84 and is buried at the East Clifton Cemetery.

Marshall, Joyce
M016 · Person · 1913-2005

Author Joyce Marshall was born in Montreal on 28 November 1913, the eldest child of William W. Marshall and Ruth Chambers. After attending Westmount High School in Montreal she studied at St. Helen's School in Dunham from 1929 to 1932. She then went on to study English at McGill University, where she obtained her B.A. in 1935. Marshall had started to write fiction in her childhood and had her first publication, a short story, in 1936. In 1937 she moved to Toronto and continued to live there for most of her life, with a break from 1961 to 1963, when she lived in Denmark and Norway. Though her works consists mainly of short stories, Marshall has also worked in many other genres, including poetry, the novel, the essay, journalism, and criticism. Many of her stories have been produced for radio on the CBC program 'Anthology'. Marshall was a translator as well, and is known as an excellent translator of Quebec literature. In 1976, she won the Canadian Council award for translation for her version of Gabrielle Roy's "Cet été qui chantait". This translation and that of two other works by Roy gave rise to correspondence with Roy. Marshall's interests included work with national associations for the protection and promotion of writers and translators. In 1981-1982, Marshall was writer-in-residence at Trent University in Ontario.

Joyce Marshall passed away 22 October 2005.

Dutton, Dorothy, 1901-2003
Person · 1901-2003

Dorothy Dutton was born on 9 October 1901 in Gaspé. She was the daughter of Reverend Arthur W. Dutton, an Anglican clergyman, and Mary Ready. She never married. She studied at King's Hall in Compton and graduated from Bishop's University in History in 1920. Her father also studied at Bishop's University from 1895 to 1899. During her career life, Dorothy Dutton worked as a teacher, business woman and a manager. She worked in Montreal for Sun Life, an insurance company, in New Hampshire for Indian Head, a tourist resort, and in Lennoxville at Bishop's College School. She was also an author. She wrote and published historical novels and Bible stories for children: The chosen, From Egypt to the Holy Land, Come to Jerusalem, Hunter's Landing, Lennoxville/Ascot (1791-1950), Jonathan's Long Furrow. She continued to write until the age of 97.

Dorothy Dutton was also involved and recognized into the Lennoxville community. She volunteered at her church, St. George's Church (Lennoxville). In 1980, she was named Alumni of the Year by Bishop's University and became Honorary member of Bishop's Golden Key Academic Honour Society in 2002. She received a Life Membership from the Anglican Church Women. She also donated three watercolors to Bishop's Art Collection that were done by her father, Arthur Dutton.

In 1998, Dorothy Dutton moved to The Wales Home in Richmond where she lived until she passed away on 8 February 2003 at the age of 101 years old. Her funeral was held in Lennoxville at St. George's Church. She is buried in Malvern Cemetery in Lennoxville.

Corporate body · 1973-

In 1973, soon after the inauguration of the Robert Fournier arena, the Club de Patinage Artistique d'East Angus (Les Lames Magiques) was founded in East Angus by Denis Martin, the East Angus recreation director, alongside Mrs. Isabelle Dugal and Mrs. Micheline Bouchard. The club operates out of the Robert Fournier Arena and is a non-profit organization whose mission is to teach the basics of skating to anyone at any age. The club was first sponsored by the Filles d'Isabelle and was first chaired by Micheline Bouchard. During the first couple of years, skating lessons were given by Madame Fernande Fraser, a professional and ex-skater from the Holiday on Ice troupe. The leadership of its first administrators (Isabelle Dugal, Madelaine Cathcart, Shirley Hawkes, Lucette Dion, Denise Roy, Jean-Paul Dionne, Jacqueline Munkittrick, Madeleine Legault, Laurence Trépanier and Nicole Bergeron) and the work of volunteers allowed the club to progress. On November 13, 1975, the club joined the East-Angus Sports and Recreation Coordinating Committee, and on March 28, 1977, the club obtained its charter of incorporation. From then on, the club was affiliated with the Regional Association, the Quebec Figure Skating Federation, and eventually became a member of the Canadian Figure Skating Association, now known as Skate Canada. The club offers many different programs such as Patinage Plus, Patinage STAR, Patinage Adulte, and many more, which allow for the development of figure skating in the region. Every year, the club organizes various regional competitions such as the Suzanne Cathcart competitions and the Programme Court competitions, and at the end of each season, the skaters put on a show suitable for any age.

Person · 1911-2001

Henrietta Kathleen Warren was born on 21 January 1911. She was the daughter of Alice Frances Rattray (1881-1968), and Herbert Lawrence Warren, (1881- 1952, Herbert and Alice had three children, all born in Montreal: Herbert Hamilton Warren (25 April 1908- 9 January 1987, Ottawa), Henrietta Kathleen (Kay), and Mary Hamilton Warren (16 February 1913- 2 July 1960, Magog).

Herbert Lawrence Warren, in partnership with Mr. Dale, founded of the Warrendale Shirt Company in 1927. He was also involved with The Montreal Quilting Company. Herbert Hamilton, his son, was Secretary Treasurer of Warrendale for most of his working life. He expanded to include the Belding-Corticelli Company, which included the factory in Coaticook, a lace factory in Ways Mills, a warehouse and a factory in St. Jean sur Richelieu. Herbert Hamilton became a director of Belding-Corticelli, Warrendale, the Montreal Quilting Company, and Iroquois Chemicals.

Henrietta Kathleen graduated from McGill University in 1932. She was married to Harry Austin Milne in 1941. She had two daughters: Catherine and Jean, who both attended McGill.

Member of the Board since 1971, H. K. Milne became President of the Memphremagog Library in 1974 and assumed this responsibility until 1993 when it was municipalized. All those years, she worked hard to defend the interests of the library. Its growth is indeed due to her devoted work. Beyond her noteworthy role in the growth of the Memphremagog Library, her community involvement is represented through her participation in numerous other organizations and projects, such as the founding of Pinecroft Residence in Magog, Social Services Sherbrooke, the Magog District Home and School Association, the 1st Magog Company of Girl Guides, the Sherbrooke University Women's Club, and the Sherbrooke Hospital Foundation, among other things. Her significant contribution to the community was recognized in 2004 when the Municipality of Magog named a street in her honour.

She also maintained a great interest in the history of Magog and the Eastern Townships, represented by her collection of historical articles and photographs.

H. K. Milne died 5 April 2001 at Magog. She is buried in Pine Hill Cemetery.

Milne, Frank (1894-1970)
Person · 1894-1970

Frank Milne (1894-1970) is the son of Catherine Mallinson (c. 1870-1924) and Francis Joseph Milne (1870-1948). He married Evelyn (Eva) M. Truax (1895-1980) at the St. Luke’s Anglican Church in Magog on 10 October 1916. The couple lived at 24 Bethune Street in Sherbrooke and are buried at the Elmwood Cemetery. They had two children: John Riley (1922-1944) and Joan Elizabeth (b. 1926), who married Peter Brett. John was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Gilman, Daniel Spencer
Person · 1816-1853

Daniel Spencer Gilman (Spencer as he was called) was born in 1817, the oldest son of Moses Gilman and Patience Spencer. He did not marry, and went to work in Lowell, Massachusetts. Afterwards he decided to participate in the California Gold Rush in 1849 and died of typhus fever while there.

Corporate body · 1985-1986

The Joujouthèque de Coaticook Inc. was founded in 1985 by Alain Lefevre, Monique Lemelin-Dupont and Louise Boily with the purpose of providing a toy borrowing service. It operated out of the Coaticook Library building. The organization was dissolved in 1986.