Showing 2442 results

Authority record

Douglas-Bridgette (family)

James Douglas (Jr.) and his family emigrated from Scotland to Canada East in 1850. They settled in the Township of East Farnham where he first rented and then purchased a farm. James Douglas (d.1883) married Janet Kirkpatrick (d.1881), which is how the Douglas and Kirkpatrick families are related. Their children were Robert, William James, George Carleton, Margaret, and Mary. Robert Douglas married Sara Louisa Loud. As a young man, George (known as Carleton) moved to California where he a successful businessman, becoming manager of the Pacific Lumber Company. While many descendants of James Douglas and Janet have left to live on the west coast, and in the northeastern United Sates, a number still remain in the townships.

The father of John Bridgette emigrated from North Ireland probably between 1825 and 1830, first settling in St. Giles and later moving to St. Sylvestre. His son, John W. Bridgette (1832-1917) married Maria Orr (1838-1922) and worked in the lumber trade as well as farming. They had eight children: Emily M., Albert E., Richard Edwin, Alma, Jennie, Georgia, William S., and Samuel J. Emily's grandson is Capt. Josiah Sawyer, founder of Sawyerville. William and Richard Edwin moved to New York, becoming successful businessmen, while Samuel was ordained at Mossisburg in July of 1903. Albert Edward married Arabella Todd, which is how the Bridgette's and Todd's are related. Their daughter Marjorie married Cedric S. Douglas, which is how all three families are related.

It is believed that the Pearson family immigrated from the British Isles at the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815. They settled in the Eastern Townships as one of the pioneering families in the region. They settled primarily in the area between Ste. Bridgide, Farnham and Waterloo. William Pearson and his wife Mary Jane Dunlop Pearson were the first to have children in Canada. Their children were: Susanna, William James and Etta Labinia.

The Todd family left the United States to settle in Eaton Township in the early 1800s. Alonzo Todd, son of Elisha and Sally (Willard) Todd. Together Alzono and his wife, Susan Luther, had five children: Eva Lucinda, Arabella, Ernest, Etta Fidelia, and Mary Jane. Arabella married Albert Bridgette, and that is how those two families are related.

Flannery, Homer L., b. 1874

Homer L. Flannery was born in November 1874. He was the proprietor of the business H.L. Flannery, Groceries, Fruit, Confectionary, Crockery and Glassware, located in Sutton, Quebec.

Bradley (family)

Alta Evelyn Bradley, the daughter of Robert Emerson Bradley (1847-1924) and Alta Louise Ayer (1863-1947), was born 2 November 1901 and died in 1979. It appears that she never married. Robert Bradley was born in Durham Township, the son of William Bradley and Jane Johnston, but eventually moved to Sherbrooke where he became the successor to the George Ayer Marble Works, located at Strathcona Square. Alta L. Ayer's parents were George Ayer and Louisa S. LeBaron, making George Robert's father-in-law. A. Evelyn Bradley's sister, Pauline Ayer Bradley married Hal Ross Perrigard, a notable Canadian painter. Many members of the Bradley family is buried at the Elmwood Cemetery in Sherbrooke.

Gisla Cemetery Inc. (Gisla, Que.)

Gisla Cemetery Inc. was founded in 1894 when a group of cemetery lot owners met and selected a board of managers to oversee the maintenance the "Graveyard of Gisla". The Gisla Cemetery is located in Gisla, in Whitton Township, an area primarily settled by Hebridean Scots from the Isle of Lewis, Scotland in the 1830s. The cemetery was probably first established around 1858. In 1968, the organization became incorporated and officially changed its name to Gisla Cemetery Inc. in order to raise funds more effectively for the maintenance of the cemetery. It is managed by a board of directors. In 1995, the Gisla Cemetery was designated as a 'site du patrimoine' by Quebec's Ministère de la Culture, des Communications et de la Condition féminine.

Among the burials at the Gisla Cemetery is that of the infamous 'Megantic Outlaw', Donald Morrison.

Brent, Hally Carrington, 1879-1968

Harriet (a.k.a. Hally) Carrington Brown was born on 1 March 1879 in Baltimore, Maryland. Her parents were Thomas R. Brown and Harriet R. Carrington. On 5 December 1900, Hally married Duncan K. Brent in Baltimore. Together, they had three children: Joseph L. Brent (born 1903), Duncan K. Brent (born 1906) and Harriet C. Brent (a.k.a. Hally - born 1913). Hally Sr. died in October 1968 and is buried at the Greenmont Cemetery in Baltimore, MA.

From the time that Mrs. Brent was 10 years old, in 1889, she spent summers in North Hatley, on Lake Massawippi, with her family. She continued to visit North Hatley throughout her life and recounted the experiences of the early American summer residents of North Hatley during the late 19th and early 20th centuries in her book The North Hatley Story.

St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club (Lennoxville, Que.)

The creation of the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club stemmed from an interest among the Lennoxville population in the observation of the region's wildlife. Under the guidance of Dr. A. N. Langford, a Biology Professor at Bishop's University, the St. Francis-Massawippi Bird Club was formed in 1955. The Club's purpose is to foster the interest of the citizens in the wildlife and to educate them as to the ecomonic importance of proctecting wildlife. It aims to achieve this by encouraging the study of wildlife and its habitat, holding meetings, public lectures and exhibitions, publishing and distributing information, supporting the enforcement of existing laws for the protection of wildlife and furthering legislation to that end and promoting and assisting in the establishment of wildlife sanctuaries and owning and purchasing land. In 1970, the Club's name was changed to the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club.

Over the years, the St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club has taken part in the preservation of nature parks across the province. In particular, the Club was essential in the establishment of the L'Île du Marais inc. and the Johnville Bog and Forest Park. In 2001, the Club started working with teachers in the Eastern Townships School Board to educate children about the environment and nature.

The St. Francis Valley Naturalists' Club is still active.

Clayton-Kennedy, Kenneth E., b. 1891

  • Person

Kenneth Edgar Clayton-Kennedy born 28 May 1891 in Stanstead, Quebec to George Robert Edgar and Helen (nee O'Leory) Kennedy. The Kennedy's lived in New York City, where they built a large estate. Eventually, they moved to Connecticut, and later settled south of Sherbrooke, Quebec, as Empire Loyalists. Kennedy held a long militaristic career during World War I in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force and Canadian Flying Corps. Kennedy was also a businessman as owner of Hatley Water Company and Funding Co. Ltd.

Lake Massawippi Area Historical Society (North Hatley, Que.)

The Lake Massawippi Area Historical Society was formed in 1991 and was originally named the North Hatley Historical Society. Its area of interest included all of Hatley Township and the municipalities of Ayer's Cliff, Ste. Catherine-de-Hatley, and the villages of Hatley and Massawippi. Its original mandate was to research, record, gather, and preserve materials pertaining to the history of Hatley Township and to make such information available to the public. In 2003, the name of the organization was changed to The Lake Massawippi Area Historical Society to better serve the area.

Angus House (East Angus, Que.)

The Angus House was a hotel in the town of East Angus, located in the Township of Westbury, which was active during the end of the 19th century. James Bryant, the original owner of the Angus House, first opened a boarding house in East Angus around 1884 and built the hotel in 1891. In 1896, Bryant sold the hotel to Lockhart R. Willard.

Stanstead County Teachers Association (Stanstead, Que.)

The Stanstead County Teachers Association was probably organized in 1942. The Association's mandate was to support the activities of the Provincial Association of Protestant Teachers, to maintain friendly relations and promote better understanding among the teachers of the district, to advance the interests of education in the district and elsewhere and to assist in the professional improvement of its members. The Association was run by an executive committee and members included teachers from Ayer's Cliff, North Hatley, Coaticook, Beebe, Magog and Stanstead. The Stanstead County Teachers Association was dissolved in 1966 when four local teachers associations merged to form the Eastern Townships Association of Teachers.

Independent Order of Foresters, Court Bury, No. 3609 (Bury, Que.)

The Independent Order of Foresters, Court Bury, No. 3609 held its first meeting on the 25 March 1902 in Bury, Quebec. Members had to undergo and pass physical examinations prior to being admitted to the Order and were required to pay monthly dues. Members of the Bury Court came from broad employment backgrounds, such as physicians, book keepers, labourers and farmers. The Independent Order of Foresters was first incorporated in Ontario in 1881 and, essentially, was to act as a health and life insurance company for its members. The objectives of the Independent Order of Foresters were to unite fraternally all persons of sound body and mental health and good moral character, under the age of 55; to give moral and material aid to its members and their dependents; to educate the members socially, morally, and intellectually; to establish a fund for the relief of sick and distressed members; to create a benefit fund for death benefits for widows and dependents of members; and to secure for its members free medical attendance, a sick benefit, a funeral benefit, a pension plan for members over the age of 70, and disability benefits.

Thomas, Mary Ann Baker, b. 1874

  • Person

Mary Ann was a daugher of John and Jane Baker. Mary Ann, a.k.a. Mamie, and her twin sister were born in Blanchard, Wisconsin in 1874. Around 1894, Mamie married Howard Thomas, a banker in Blanchard and in 1895, they had a son, Foster Keith. Mary Ann Baker may be related to the Baldwins through Mary Jeanette Baker, wife of John Percival Baldwin.

Ferrin, Kate E., b. 1875?

  • Person

Kate E. Ferrin was the born in about 1875 in Holland, Vermont, the daughter of Elvyn A. Ferrin and Antha Kidder. Kate's father, Elvyn, was Lill Ferrin Baldwin's brother, making Kate Lill's niece. She has a sister named Edith. Kate attended Derby Academy.

Dilley, Cora Lovell, b. 1893

  • Person

Cora Lovell was born in 1893 to Hazen I. Lovell and Adelaide May. She grew up in the Coaticook area and attended school with Ruth May as well as being cousins. In October 1912, along with her parents and siblings (Martin, Artemissa or 'Artie', Alta, John and Allen) moved to Glendale, California. As a young woman, Cora worked as a telephone operator and, possibly, as a secretary in an office. Around 1916, she married Paul Dilley and they had two children together: Pauline and John.

Cooke, Clara May, 1886-1968

  • Person

One of Darius May and Emma Stevens' ten children, Clara May was born 14 February 1886 in Baldwin's Mills. She moved to Montreal and married Fred Cooke, a widower, in 1927. The couple never had any children. Clara died 11 July 1968 and is buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

May, Julian, 1880-1956

  • Person

Julian May, the second eldest son of Darius May and Emma Stevens was born 24 May 1880. He suffered from scarlet fever as a child, which resulted a severe loss of hearing. Julian went west as a young man but later returned to live with his sister, Rose May, and work for Harold Baldwin. Julian also traveled quite a bit during his life to various spots in North America. He never married. Julian died 13 March 1956 and is buried at the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

Hall, Maud Ella May, 1874-1947

  • Person

Maud Ella May was born 19 February 1874, the eldest daughter of Darius May and Emma Stevens. She married Edwin Charles Hall in 1898 and later moved to Rock Island. They had four children: Edwin, Ernest, Marjorie and Joseph. Maud May Hall died 18 April 1947 and is buried at the Crystal Lake Cemetery in Stanstead.

May, Rose, 1877-1967

  • Person

Rose May was the third oldest child of Darius May and Emma Stevens, born 31 July 1877 in Baldwin's Mills. As a young woman she was a member of the Young Women's Christian Temperance Association and the Barnston Baptist Church. Rose never married and lived at the May farm until her father's death in 1913. After this, she moved into her brother, John's, home which was adjacent to the family farm. She never married. Rose died 23 March 1967. She is buried at the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

May, Emma Jane Stevens, 1852-1894

  • Person

Emma Jane Stevens, born 29 December 1852 in Lynn, Massachusetts, was the second eldest daughter of Nason Stevens and Susannah Marsh. Between 1857 and 1859, the Stevens family moved from the United States to Barnston, Quebec. Emma had six sisters and two brothers: Clara, Rosa, Alice, Alma, Ida, Jennie, Nason and Freddie.

On 3 July 1872, Emma married Darius May. They had ten children: Maud Ella (1874-1947), Wilbur Lyman (1875-1946), Rose Nettie (1877-1961), Julian Sylvester (1881-1956), John Vining (1882-1971), Ida/Ada S. (1884-1885), Clara Emma (1886-1968), Fred Nason (1887-1955), Ruth Stevens (1890-1971) and Irene S. (1892-1893).

Emma died on 14 May 1894 and is buried in the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.
.

May, Laura Fernand, b. 1849?

  • Person

The daughter of Alfred and Mary Fernand, Laura Fernand was born about 1849 in Quincy, Massachusetts. On 14 June 1871, she married Lyman May in Lynn, Massachusetts. Together they had at least four children: Frank Fernand (b. 1873), Cora (b. 1874), Phillip (b. 1877) and Rachel Sylvester (b. 1884).

Taylor, Amanda Melvina May, 1837-1900

  • Person

Amanda Melvina May, most often known as simply Melvina, was born in 1837, the daughter of Sylvester May and Almeda Marsh, in Baldwin's Mills. Melvina moved to Boston for a time and finally settled Lynn, Massachusetts in 1864 where she worked as a seamstress and dressmaker. On 11 July 1865, she married Hollis Taylor, who had also moved from Stanstead County to Lynn. Although they never had any of their own children, Hollis had a son, Julian, from a previous marriage.

Melvina died in 1900 in Lynn, Massachusetts.
.

May, Lyman, 1844?-1925

  • Person

Lyman May, the son of Sylvester May and Eunice Bean, was born about 1844 in Baldwin's Mills. In 1863, Lyman left Baldwin's Mills and moved to Lynn, Massachusetts in search of paid work. After first arriving, he worked in a shoe factory but then moved on to find work as a peddler. Later on, Lyman was operate a store where he sold glass- and plate-ware, stoves and other home furnishings.

On 14 June 1871, Lyman married Laura W. Fernand in Lynn, Massachusetts. They had at least four children: Frank Fernand (b. 1873), Cora (b. 1874), Phillip (b. 1877) and Rachel Sylvester (b. 1884). Lyman died 14 November 1925 in Massachusetts.
.

May, Darius, 1843-1913

  • Person

Darius May, the son of Sylvester May and Eunice Bean, was born in 1843 in Baldwin's Mills. Darius married Emma Jane Stevens on 3 July 1872; together they had ten children: Maud Ella (1874-1947), Wilbur Lyman (1875-1946), Rose Nettie (1877-1961), Julian Sylvester (1881-1956), John Vining (1882-1971), Ida/Ada S. (1884-1885), Clara Emma (1886-1968), Fred Nason (1887-1955), Ruth Stevens (1890-1971) and Irene S. (1892-1893). During his lifetime, Darius was a farmer in Baldwin's Mills and owned what was known as the 'May Farm'.

Darius died 4 December 1913 and is buried in the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

May, Sylvester, 1808-1901

  • Person

Sylvester May was the eldest son of Hezekiah May and Sarah (Sally) Hayes. Born April 1808, Sylvester moved from Stanstead Township to Barnston Township, in 1832 where he purchased a farm near Lake Lyster. He was first married to Almeda Marsh (1813-1842) and together they had at least two children: Amanda Melvina (1837-1900) and Sophia (1841-1842). After the death of Almeda, Sylvester married Eunice Bean (1813-1852) on the 6 June 1843. Together they had at least five children: Darius (1843-1913), Lyman Albert (ca. 1844-1923), Wilber (1846-1852), Caroline S. (b. 1848) and an unknown child (born and died in 1845). Lastly, he married Sarah Wadleigh (1812-1902) on 11 October 1853 and they had at least one child: Ida (1855-1925). While an obituary for Sylvester states that he had ten children, it appears that there is only record of eight.

Sylvester May died 5 September 1901 and is buried at the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.
.

Baldwin, Louise

  • Person

Louise Baldwin is the youngest daughter of Elvyn Baldwin and Jane Ross. She traveled extensively during her early adulthood. Louise married Brant LeBaron.

Baldwin, Eva

  • Person

Eva Baldwin is the oldest child of Elvyn Baldwin and Jane Ross. She is a graduate of Bishop's University. Eva married Bill Morton and they have three children: Rose, Jane-Anne and Ian.

Baldwin, Erline Jane Ross, 1924-2001

  • Person

Erline Jane Ross, known as Jane, was born 9 November 1924. As a young woman, Jane taught at the school house in Baldwin's Mills and boarded at the house of Harold F. Baldwin. On 8 September 1951, she married Elvyn Baldwin and they had five children together: Eva, Mead, Louise, Allen and Paul. Jane died 15 November 2001 and is buried at the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

Corey, Irving Ross

  • Person

Irving Ross Corey married Alice Baldwin in 1948. Around 1950, he and Alice moved from Montreal to Kimberly, British Columbia. Ross died in 2001 and is buried at the Lakeview Cemetery in Baldwin's Mills.

Baldwin, Lester Stevens, b. 1933

  • Person

Lester Stevens Baldwin was born 9 October 1933, the youngest son of Harold F. Baldwin and Ruth S. May. He attended Stanstead College, a private boarding school in Stanstead, Quebec.

Results 2371 to 2400 of 2442