Showing 2484 results

Authority record

Baker, Hattie, 1859-1943

  • Person

Born in 1859 to William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker, Harriet Baker was the sister of Malcolm Clapp Baker. Harriet appears in the 1881 Canadian Census for Missisquoi County, Quebec. At the time she was about 21 years old and residing in the household of her father, William Baker.

In the 1911 Canadian Census, a "Hariett Baker" is listed as residing in Missisiquoi County in the subdistrict of Dunham, Quebec. This is, in all likelihood, Malcolm's sister. Harriet was, at the time, listed as being single, her position in the household in which she resided was that of "daughter", and her birth date of May 1859 was also indicated.

The most prolific correspondent in this fond, Harriet died in 1943.

Baker, Harriet Eliza Clapp, 1822-1911?

  • Person

Born in 1822 in Shelburne, Vermont, Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker was the mother of Malcolm Clapp Baker. she married William Stevens Baker in Woodstock, Vermont in 1845. Together the couple had eight children: Alfred Stewart Baker, Frederick Stevens Baker, Amelia Baker Stevens, Malcolm Clapp Baker, Mary Peckham Stevens, Emma Louise Baker, Harriet Baker, and Abigail Baker. Her first son, Alfred Stewart Baker, died only a year after his birth.

A "Harriet E.J. Baker" appears in the 1911 Census for Missisquoi County. Her age, 89 years, matches what Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker's age would have been at that time. Her birth date, October 1822, is also in agreement with the information contained in the "Family Background" file of this fond. The Harriet appearing in the census was listed as head of the household and was widowed. If this Harriet is indeed Malcolm Clapp Baker's mother, she would have died sometime shortly after the census was taken in 1911.

Baker, Emma, 1857?-1944

  • Person

Born in 1857 to William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker, Emma Louise Baker was the sister of Malcolm Clapp Baker. Emma makers her first appearance in official government documents in the year 1880. She is listed in the 1880 U.S. Census of Johnson Creek, Saline, Nebraska. She was twenty-three at the time, single, and living in the household of her brother, Frederick Stevens Baker.

Emma Louise Baker also appears in the 1911 Canadian Census for Missisquoi County in the subdistrict of Dunham. The document records her birth date as being February 1857. Emma self-reports her age as being approximately 54 years. Ms. Baker is identified as being single and her status in the household is that of "daughter". She died in 1944.

Stevens, Minnie Baker, 1851-1911

  • Person

Born in 1851 to William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker, Ameila (Minnie) Baker Stevens was the eldest sister of Malcolm Clapp Baker. She eventually married Reverend Albert Stevens. The couple had five children: Grace, Emma Lou, Bert, Cecil, and Arthur. Amelia appears in the 1881 Canadian Census for Stanstead, Quebec. She was in her late twenties at the time that the Census was taken and was already married to Reverend Stevens. Amelia died in 1911.

Baker, Abigail, 1861-1883

  • Person

Born in 1861 to William Stevens Baker and Harriet Eliza Clapp Baker, Abigail Baker was the youngest sister of Malcolm Clapp Baker. She appears in the 1881 Census for Missisquoi County, Quebec. In 1881, Abigail was just 20 years old and was a member fo the Church of England. Her father, still alive at the time, was the head of household. Abigail died in 1883. The cause of her untimely death is unknown.

Echenberg, Eddy, 1925-2014

Edwin "Eddy" Echenberg was born in Shebrooke the 14 August 1925 to Jacob Echenberg and Sophy Shriar/Shrier. During his lifetime, he was a retail store owner, insurance salesman and avid collector. In 1950 he married Isabelle Boy, with whom he had one daughter, Cathy. He was the owner of his father's store, "Jack Echenberg and Sons" on Wellington Street in Sherbrooke where he worked from 1950 to 1967. After the store closed in 1967, he pursued a career with the Sun Life Insurance Co.

Mr. Echenberg's passion for collecting began in the early 1950s with a small set of coins and a few bank notes from the Eastern Township Bank. A decade later he sold his coin and bank note collection for $15,000, and a part of the collection found its way to the Bank of Canada Museum. His passion for collecting was rekindled in 1963 during a visit with his wife to Chicoutimi where he discovered antiques and antique shops. Two people who profoundly influenced his life were Father Léon Marcotte, archivist at the Sherbrooke Seminary Museum, and J. Douglas Ferguson of Stanstead, former president of the Canadian Manufacturing Association and an avid numismatist. In 2002, Mr. Echenberg donated a large part of his collection to the McCord Museum.

Mr. Echenberg died the 13 October 2014 and his wife, Isabelle, died the 14 August 2015. Both are buried at the Riverview Cemetery in Scotstown.

Hackett, Linda Harding, 1884-1965

  • Person

Linda Harding Hackett was born 14 January 1884, in Derby Line, Vermont, daughter of Dudley William Davis and Annie Kidder Harding Davis. She received her Bachelors of Arts from Boston University. She studied the Eastern Townships and in 1941 compiled the book Eleanzer Fitch: The First Leader of Stanstead Township. Linda passed away 18 July 1965.

Hackett, John Thomas, 1884-1956

  • Person

John Thomas Hackett B.L., B.C.L. is the son of Michael Felix Hackett and Florence Alberta Knight. He was born in Stanstead, Quebec on 12 June 1884. He was educated at St. Charles Seminary, Loyola College, Laval, and a graduate of McGill’s Law school. It was there that J.T. Hackett founded the student council of McGill (1909). He was a resident of both Montreal and Stanstead, Quebec. He was married to Linda Harding (1884-1965) in 1912 and they had Florence Knight (1913), Ann Kidder (1914-1931), Linda Mary (1916-1917), Guy Harding (1918-1951), Julia Alice (b. 1919), John David (1920-1980), Ruth Rose (1922-1928), and Mary Cora (b. 1924). Hackett’s occupation as Lawyer was followed by terms as a Federal Conservative M.P. (1930-1935, 1945-1949) and Senator (1955-1956). In his lifetime he participated on the board of governor’s for McGill University, Executive Board of The Charity Organization Society, Catholic Social Service Guild, and Loyal Convalescent Home. He was also President of Jr. Bar Assiciation (1919), Batonnier of the Bar Association of Montreal (1945-1946) and Canadian Bar Association (1947). John Thomas like his father was involved in the military as a Lieutenant of 55th Regiment, Irish Canadian Rangers. He was also the president of the Stanstead County Historical Society (1936-1956). He passed away 15 September 1956 and is buried in the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

Hackett, Michael Felix, 1851-1926

  • Person

Michael Felix Hackett B.C.L. was born into a Irish Catholic home on 23 August 1851. His parents were Patrick Hackett ([18-?]-1869) of Ireland and Mary Griffin ([18-?]-) of Granby, Quebec. His father was the first Mayor of Granby, Quebec who died when a bridge collapsed in April of 1869. Michael Felix Hackett studied locally at the Granby Academy College, as well as at the College of Sainte-Marie de Monnoir, and College of Saint-Hyacinthe. He studied law at McGill University and on June 17th, 1874 he was admitted to the Quebec provincial Bar. M.F. Hackett was married in 1883 to Florence Alberta Knight ([1859]-1913) daughter of Albert Knight M.P. (1817-1887) and Julia Ann Rose (1817-1894). They had a family of five: Sybil Rose (1886-1954), Florence Julia (1891-1912), Mary Griffin (1896-1980), John Thomas (1884-1956) and Felix Winfield (1890-). M.F. Hackett practiced law in the Stanstead community, was the Mayor of Stanstead Plain (1890-1904) and Prefect of the County (1891-1897). He was a Judge of the Superior court of Quebec and politician, participating in the Quebec Legislature elected in 1892. He assumed the position of Provincial Secretary until retirement. He also ran for the federal legislature (1900 and 1904), but was not elected. He was Director and Vice president of Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance (1835-[19-?]). In addition to this, M.F. Hackett was the President of the Stanstead County Farmers’ Institute, the Saint-Joseph Society, Eastern Township’s Liberal-Conservative Party (Quebec) and the School Board Trustees. He also was a member of the Board of Examiners for School Teachers of Eastern Townships, Milita Captain, Batonnier of the Saint-Francois Bar (1892-93) and (1900-1901), and Grand President of the Catholic Mutal Benefit Association of Canada (1895-1916). M.F. Hackett passed away 12 April 1926 in Cowansville, Quebec. He is buried at the Mont Ste. Marie Cemetery in Stanstead.

Comité de bassin Massawippi-Tomifobia (Ayer's Cliff, Que.)

The Comité de bassin Massawippi-Tomifobia (CBMT) was organized in 1998 by the Massawippi Water Protection Inc. and was incorporated as a non-profit organization in 2002. It was established because the members of the Massawippi Water Protection Inc. felt that Lake Massawippi's water problems neccessitated corrective measures far upstream from the lake, which came to empass the entire watershed. Although formed by the Massawippi Water Protection Inc., the CBMT is an independent organisation directed by 15 members, 10 of whom are delegates from various agricultural, forestry, municipal, and commercial groups. The CBMT's mission has been outlined to sensitize people to the importance of the watershed as well as to their interventions to improve water quality and the environment by working with citizens, users of the area, municipalities, the MRCs, federal and provincial ministries and other organizations. Some of the activities that have been realised during their existence are the removal of logjams on the bed and along the shores of the Tomifobia river and the planting of shrubs and trees along the shorelines of the Tomifobia and Niger rivers. Their activities are funded, for a significant part, by donations and government grants.

The CBMT was officially dissolved on 6 May 2005.

Townshippers' Research and Cultural Foundation (Lennoxville, Que.)

The Townshippers' Research and Cultural Foundation established in 1987 and located in Lennoxville, is a non-profit charitable organization that has enhanced the well-being of the Eastern Townships English-speaking community by donating to community organizations and projects. Its motto is "Townshipper's helping Townshippers: Generation to Generation". It is the aim of the Foundation to raise money to fund community projects in the fields of health and social services, arts and heritage, youth, education and research. Each fall, the Foundation holds a fund-raising campaign, and the following winter grants are distributed to support projects. The Foundation is committed to the challenge of raising sufficent funds, so that every worthwhile application may receive a positive response to its request for support.

Simeon, Grant

Grant Siméon graduated from Bishop's University in 1985. From 1985 to 1995, he was a photographer for The Record, a newspaper serving the English-speaking community of the Eastern Townships region. In 1997, he established his own photography and graphic design studio in Lennoxville, Quebec, called Communications Grant Siméon Photographe & Associés, which offers photography as well as graphic design services. Not only has he photographed numerous community figures and events during his professional career, he has also developed an impressive portfolio including portrait, advertising, food, industrial and fashion photography.

Canadian Institute of International Affairs. Sherbrooke\Lennoxville Branch (Sherbrooke, Que.)

In 1945, the Canadian Institute of International Affairs (CIIA), which has local and regional branches, created the Sherbrooke\Lennoxville Branch. Its goals were to stimulate the interest of local communities in international issues and more specifically in the role and interests of Canada on the international scene. Members were elected to postions as Branch officers annually, and the Branch President sat at the CIIA's National Council. Jointly with the CIIA, the Branch furthered the organization's goals by organizing information and discussion forums on various international issues. Speakers from all over the world came to present their points of view. In 1988, however, the Sherbrooke\Lennoxville Branch disbanded because members were so few.

Brookhouse, Newton, 1849-1917

Newton (Backhouse) Brookhouse was born in Castletown, Lancashire, England on 22 July 1849, son of Henry Backhouse and Sarah Maria Duncalf. Upon finishing school, he went into business, working with his brother George in the paper industry, which led him to travel to Canada on a few occasions. Brookhouse married Mary Partington the 15 January 1877. Together they had two sons: Reginald John G. (1882-1948) and Wilfred Newton (1885-1969). Between 1881-1882, Newton and Mary immigrated to Canada. Settling in Montreal at first, he soon afterwards moved to the Townships, where he bought Elder Mitchell's farm near Georgeville. Thenceforth, in addition to farming and stock raising, he devoted himself to photography and much of his work depicts scenes from around Lake Memphremagog, in particular Georgeville and Magog. He died on 6 February 1917 at the age of 68 and was laid to rest in Ives Cemetery on the Georgeville Road.

Townshippers' Association (Sherbrooke, Que.)

Townshippers' Association, previously known as the English-speaking Townshippers' Association, was founded in 1979. As early as 1973, members of the English-speaking community wished to have an association to represent them, a desire that led to the founding of the Eastern Townships Social Action Group and later the Eastern Townships Citizens' Association. These organizations never, however, had wide support from the community. Townshippers' Association promotes the interests of the English-speaking community of the Eastern Townships; seeks to strengthen the cultural identity of the English-speaking community; encourages the full participation of the English-speaking community in the community at large; and collects monies, by way of donations, dues, or otherwise, to fund projects. The Association is managed by its Board of Directors and Executive Committee, assisted by regular staff. Over the years, various permanent committees have been created to work on dossiers such as education, employment, and health and social services. The Association is funded primarily by the Secretary of State.

Eastern Townships Heritage Foundation (Lennoxville, Que.)

In 1976, a group of English-speaking citizens concerned by the loss of the archives and the architectural heritage of the Eastern Townships created the Eastern Townships Heritage Foundation, at first called the Eastern Townships Local Studies Foundation. The Foundation's mandate was to seek out, record, and preserve rapidly vanishing resources of a cultural and historical nature. The goals were to gather together the resources available to support local and regional studies; obtain the support and co-operation of all organizations and institutions working on local studies; create and sustain an awareness on local history; and fund research projects. Because many members of the Foundation were employed by Bishop's University and Champlain Regional College these two institutions gave constant support. The Foundation, a non-profit organization, which had its head office in Lennoxville, was incorporated on 14 February 1977. It was managed by its 20-member Board of Directors, 10 of whom represented local historical societies; and by the Executive Committee, consisting of the President, two Vice-Presidents, the Secretary and the Treasurer. In 1978, the Foundation created the following committees: Liaison, Acquisitions, Research, Education, and Finances. In 1977 and 1979, the Foundation contributed to a major project called Landscapes of the Past: taped interviews were carried out with senior citizens on lifestyles in the Eastern Townships during the first half of the 20th century; and contacts were made from photographs owned by individuals or organizations in the region. From 1980, however, the Foundation's activities lost momentum and in 1984 it was disbanded. The Eastern Townships Research Centre, created in 1982, took over the promotion of research on the Eastern Townships region.

Results 2461 to 2484 of 2484