Showing 2442 results

Authority record

Meekren, Robert James (1876-1963)

  • Person
  • 1876-1963

Robert James Meekren was born on 25 June 1876 in Lambeth, London, England, the son of Robert Charles Meekren and Eliza Alice nee Carter. The family immigrated to Canada when he was fifteen and settled at Stanstead, Quebec, Canada. Described as a textile manager and a widower, he served for three years as a sub-district intelligence officer in the Corps of Guides. He studied for a London School of Theology degree in Divinity at Bishop’s University, Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada, before returning to England to study engineering. He returned to Canada and married Alice Lydia Meigs in 1901, who died in 1907. In 1915, he enlisted in the 117th (Eastern Townships) Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. After he signed up in 1915, he served originally in the overseas unit, 4th University Company and then joined Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in the field during the Ypres Salient on 14 May 1916. He was taken prisoner of war on 2 June 1916 after he was buried during an enemy bombardment and received severe back injuries. After his discharge from German hospitals, he was held at Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. He was repatriated to England on 11 January 1919, spending time in military hospitals until he discharged himself in September 1919. He was initiated as a Craft freemason in Golden Rule Lodge, No. 5, Stanstead, Quebec in 1911, serving as Worshipful Master in 1922. He was appointed Senior Grand Deacon, Grand Lodge of Quebec in 1942. In 1914 he visited England and studied many texts at the Library of Grand Lodge, Freemasons' Hall, London and at the British Museum. In 1914 he was exalted as a Royal Arch freemason in Lively Stone Chapter, Stanstead, Quebec, where he served as First Principal in 1922. He was one of the original members of the Philalethes Society, founded in 1928 and was a member of the Society of Blue Friars. He joined the Ancient and Accepted Rite in Lodge of Perfection, Newport, Vermont. He was editor of The Builder, the journal of the National Masonic Research Association, from 1925 to 1930. He returned to Stanstead, Quebec, Canada after The Builder collapsed in 1930. He joined the Correspondence Circle of Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London in 1922. He joined Quatuor Coronati Lodge, No. 2076, London as a full member in 1948. He visited England in 1922 in order to meet many scholars of freemasonry. He wrote extensively on various aspects of freemasonry. He underwent extensive surgery in 1960 from which he never fully recovered and spent much of his remaining life in hospital. He served as Mayor and Engineer of Stanstead, Quebec from 1934 to 1946. He died on 5 December 1963 aged 87 and was buried at Crystal Lake Cemetery, Stanstead, Quebec, Canada.

Biography provided courtesy of Museum of Freemasonry, UK.

Blackwood, Homer Mitchell

  • Person
  • 1924-1999

Son of James Blackwood and Bertha May Tibbits, he was raised in Knowlton and went the Knowlton High School were he graduated in 1941. He started working for Bell Canada right away. In 1943, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and graduated as a pilot. At the end of WWII, he came back to Knowlton and continued working for Bell Canada until his retirement in 1979. In the meantime, he was elected as a councillor in 1970 and became mayor of Brome Lake in 1971. Except for the 4-year term of 1987 to 1991, he was always reelected until he retired in September 1999. He died of a heart failure just two weeks after his difficult decision. Homer M. Blackwood was also a dedicated volunteer at the Brome County Historical Society and was elected President from 1968 to 1970.

Jenks, Archie, 1889-1938

  • Person

Archie Nathaniel Jenks was born the 14 October 1889 in Coaticook, the second youngest son of Leslie Hall Jenks and Nancy Cushing. While still a dental student at McGill University, Archie enlisted during World War I with the 13th Battalion of Royal Horse Guards, C.E.F. in 1915 where he served as a medical officer. He transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in March 1917, scoring seven victories as an observer and achieved the rank of Lieutenant. Archie was found temporarily unfit for active service in 1917 following an injury he sustained when his airplane was shot down by Germans and returned to Canada as an aviation instructor. He was honourably discharged in 1918 and, after finishing his studies, went on to have a dentistry practice in Montreal. He married Elizabeth McKim (1892-1980) and together they had one child, Anson N. Jenks (1929-1931). Archie committed suicide on the 29 July 1938, after shooting his wife. He is buried at the Mount Forest Cemetery in Coaticook.

Cloutier, Philibert Joseph Louis (1919-2005)

  • Person
  • 1919-2005

Philibert (Joseph Louis) Cloutier was born April 24, 1919 at Manseau, married Eva Carignan on May 25, 1945, and died May 29, 2005 in Coaticook.

École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-[1931?]

Founded in February 1930 by Willie A. St-Pierre, Léon-C. Drolet and Dr. Raoul Laurence, the École Musicale du Comté de Stanstead was a choir and operatic association that was headquartered in Coaticook. The first music director was Oscar Cartier. At the outset, the École musicale aimed to give free weekly concerts at the Town Hall. It appears that the École Musicale was dissolved around 1931 or 1932.

Westover, Moses

  • Person
  • 1744-1826

Moses Westover was born March 24, 1744 in Sheffield, Massachusetts (U.S.A.), son of John Westover and Rachel Morton. He married Elizabeth Holmes, daughter of Capt John Holmes III and Elizabeth Rachel Fellows, and they had 11 children. He was registered as a United Empire Loyalist in 1775 but had to move to Caldwell's Manor in 1785, along with his wife and seven children (two had died young). They had two more children during their stay at Caldwell's Manor. Moses Westover received a land grant on September 1st, 1801 in Stanbridge, Missisquoi, Lower Canada, consisting of 1000 acres: Range 2, lot 10 and Range 7, lots 17,18,19 and 21. In 1802, he received a land grant in Sutton Township, consisting of 200 acres in Range 10, lot 16. He sold this piece of land in December 1825, eleven month before he died on November 23, 1826. He is buried in the Pettes-Aseltine Cemetery, in Sutton Junction.

Reed, James Bert, 1874-1949

  • Person
  • 1874-1949

Born in 1874 in North Hatley [Reedsville], he was the fourth son of Wilder Reed (1834-?) and Almira Bean (1836-?). J.B. Reed was a farmer, the founder in 1895 of the J.B. Reed & Sons mill in North Hatley, a founder and secretary of the United Farmers of Canada Organization, a president of the St. Francis District Holstein Breeders' Association, a member of the North Hatley Town Council and a member of the Universalist Church. Married to Ruth Little (1875-1967) in 1899, he had 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-?), married in 1938 to Robert Littlejohn ([19?]-?); Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). He was a candidate for the Reconstruction Party in the 1935 federal election. James B. Reed died in 1949 in North Hatley.

Little family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1841-

Thomas Little (1841-1925), married to Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), had 3 sons and 4 daughters: Taylor Little (ca. 1868-?); Thomas Little (ca. 1869-?); Bertha A. Little (ca. 1874-1903); Ruth Little (1875-1967), married in 1899 to J. B. Reed (1874-1949); Rosamond Little (1877-?); Edith M. Little (ca. 1880-?), married to C. P. Young (?-?); and Ray Little (1886-?).

Thwaites family (Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1811-

James Thwaites (1811-1890), married about 1836 to Ruth Hodgson (1807-1890), lived in Hatley. They were the parents of Annis Jane Thwaites (1844-1911), married to Thomas Little (1840-1925); and Mary Margaret (1853-1824), married to Nelson LeBaron (1841-1915).

Scowen family (North Hatley)

  • Family
  • 1882-

Herbert Scowen (1882-1969), born in England and married in 1905 to Cordelia (Della) Scowen (1883-1973), the daughter of Samuel Keynes (?-?) and Emma Keynes (?-?). Herbert and Cordelia (Della) Scowen immigrated to Canada in 1909. Herbert participated in the First World War. Their son, Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989), married to Eulah Reed (1900-1993) in 1930; Roland Scowen (ca. 1908-1969), married to Betty Scowen ([19?]-?); and Marjorie (ca. 1915-?), married to Gordon ([19?]-?).

Philip H. Scowen and Eulah A. Reed, married 26 July 1930 in North Hatley, had three children: son Philip Reed (known as Reed) (married Mary Anne Winterer in September 1956), daughter Annis Lee (known as Lee) (married Dr. Matthew Philip Campione on 7 January 1956 in North Hatley) and son Philip. Philip H. Scowen was sales manager for the East Angus branch of the Brompton Pulp and Paper Co.

Reed family (Reedsville)

  • Family
  • 1834-

Wilder Reed (1834-?), married to Almira Bean (1836-?), had 5 sons and 2 daughters: Wesley Reed (1861-?), married to Lydia Hawse (1859-?); Alice Reed (ca. 1864-1881); Tommy Reed (1866-? ), married to Mary Woodward (1869-?); Cheney Reed (ca. 1869-?), married to Ada Hart ([18?]-?); Bert Reed (1874-1949), married to Ruth Little (1875-1967); George Reed (ca. 1878-?); Permillia Reed (ca. 1880-?). James B. Reed and Ruth Little had in turn 4 sons and 3 daughters: Eulah Reed (1900-1993), married in 1930 to Philip Harry Scowen (1906-1989); Clifford Reed (1902-?); Gordon Reed (1905-? ); Ronald Reed (1908-?); Rosamond Dorothy Reed (1910-2010), married in 1938 to Rupert Littlejohn ([19?]-?)- the couple resided in Potsdam, NY; Helen (ca. 1914-?), married to Stuart Edgar ([19?]-?); and Stewart Reed (ca. 1917-?). Eulah taught at Buckingham High School.

Results 2431 to 2442 of 2442