Title and statement of responsibility area
Ascot Women's Institute fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,12 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Ascot Women's Institute was founded in 1918. It was initially known as the Spring Road Club, and was soon renamed the Ascot Homemakers' Club. Like the other Homemakers' Clubs, in 1921, it became a Women's Institute, whose motto is 'For Home and Country.' In collaboration with Macdonald College in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, the Ascot Women's Institute's mandate was to help rural women and stimulate community life. This institute was incorporated in 1932. It is a member of the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes, the Quebec Women's Institutes, and the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Delegates attend the annual meetings of these organizations. Locally, an elected board of directors worked with various committees (Agriculture, Home Economics, Education, Citizenship, Health and Welfare, Publicity, Sunshine Communications, International Affairs, Ways and Means), to organize monthly meetings and activities. The latter includes lectures; horticultural contests; school fairs; and fund raising events in aid of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, and other humanitarian organizations. Beginning in the 1970s, the Ascot Women's Institute began to involve itself with problems relating to the environment and women's rights.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the organization and the activities of the Ascot Women's Institute from 1936 to 1990. It consists of minutes, annual reports from the committees on Citizenship and Legislation, Education, Cultural Activities, and Health and Welfare. Note that press clippings have been added to the minute books. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Minutes (1973-1990), Annual Reports (1936-1987), and History of Ascot (1949).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Belvidere Women's Institute fonds (P003), the Denison Mills Women's Institute fonds (P007), the Lennoxville Women's Institute fonds (P025), the Sherbrooke County Women's Institutes fonds (P027), the Tomifobia Women's Institute fonds (P104), the Way's Mills Women's Institute fonds (P105), the Minton Women's Institute fonds (P106), and the Beebe Women's Institute fonds (P107).
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were donated in 1995 by the Ascot Women's Institute.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016