Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Canadian Celanese. Coaticook
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Coaticook factory that would eventually become the Canadian Celanese had its earliest beginnings in 1872 with the purchase of water rights from Levi Baldwin to Thomas McDuffee. They would then be acquired by Frederick Cross for the establishment of a rake factory. The factory went through a series of changes in ownership and purpose until it was acquired by Trenholme and Armitage in 1889 and became the Coaticook Woolen Mills. The factory was destroyed by fire in June 1889 and was rebuilt, continuing operations until 1919 when it was sold to Walter Blue. The factory again underwent multiple transactions until 1944, when it was acquired by Coaticook Textiles Limited. Under this ownership, the factory was expanded and by 1954 it employed 125 workers.
The Canadian Celanese was established in Coaticook in 1956 with the purchase of Coaticook Textiles Ltd’s building and equipment. In 1963, the Canadian Celanese Company merged with the Canadian Chemical Company to become a division of Chemcell Limited. In 1972, its corporate name was changed again to Celanese Canada. In 1980, the principal activity of the Celanese was the manufacture of acetate lining and texturized polyester fabrics. At this time, 80 per cent of their production went to Drummondville for dying and dressing.
In 1984 and 1985, Canadian Celanese’s plant in Coaticook was purchased by Produits Cellulaires Waterville. The company subsequently closed the plant, transferring Coaticook employees to Waterville.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Dandenault, Roch. Histoire de Coaticook, 1818-1976. Coaticook : Éditions Sherbrooke, 1976. p. 135-140. Waterville TG. “History.” http://www.watervilletg.com/en/the-company/history/. Accessed 15 December 2017. Letter, written by Pierre Perreault. 29 November 1980. F028, S006, D005.