Title and statement of responsibility area
Eaton United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1835-1990, predominant 1835-1959 (Creation)
Physical description area
0,13 m of textual records. - 3 photographs : 2 b&w and 1 col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Eaton United Church, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1835. In 1913, the Eaton Congregation was dissolved; however, Trustees were appointed to manage the church property. In 1928, after the foundation of the United Church of Canada, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the old Eaton Congregational Church property was transferred to the new Eaton United Church. In 1959, the Eaton United Church was closed and the church building was sold to the Compton County Historical Museum Society. The Eaton United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec-Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Board of Trustees and the Congregation.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management and the congregation's affairs for the Eaton United Church from 1835 to 1990. It also provides information on the church building, which is now used by the Compton County Historical Museum Society. It consists mainly of minutes and registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1835-1959); Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1838-1901); Membership (1913); Historical (1909-1990); Photographs ([196-?]-[198-?]); and Press Clippings ([187-?]-1990); and Annual Reports (2007).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Among the photographs there is one polyester negative.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. A second accession was transferred to the archives in 1995.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016