Ferron, Marcelle (1924-2001)

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Ferron, Marcelle (1924-2001)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1924-2001

History

Marcelle Ferron was born in Louisville, Québec in 1924. She became interested in art at 15 through an art teacher at the convent she attended. She studied a year at the École des Beaux-Arts, Québec, under Jean-Paul Lemieux (1904- 1990) and Simone Hudon (1905-1985). In 1947 she signed with other artists, the "Refus Global" manifesto originated by Paul- Emile Borduas (1905-1960) and Alfred Pellan (1906-1988). She worked with Borduas in 1950. In 1958 she studied engraving with Stanley W. Hayter (1901-1988) and in 1953 she moved to Paris, returning annually to Montréal for visits. She has exhibited her work at the Galerie Agnes Lefort, La Galérie Soixante, Musée de Sarrebruck, Louvre, Art Moderne, and the Salon des Réalités Nouvelles galleries. In 1960 , as a member of the Non-Figurative Artists Association of Montréal, she exhibited her work at the National Gallery of Canada. She is represented in the Museum of Fine Arts, Montréal, and the National Gallery of Canada. Marcelle Ferron died in Montreal in 2001.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

BUArtColl

Maintained by

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

MacDonald, Colin S. A Dictionary of Canadian Artists. 1st ed., Volume 1, A-F, Canadian Paperbacks Pub, 1967. p. 200.

Maintenance notes

Ferron's stained glass artwork was installed in west end window opening of John Bassett Memorial Library Reference room in September 1991. Library was fully gutted and renovated in 2017-2018 and it is now called the Library Learning Commons. It was then the Ferron piece was relocated to an alcove in the wall beside window opening. Lights were installed behind window.

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places