Title and statement of responsibility area
Fitch Bay United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,21 m of textual records. - 3 photographs. - 1 postcard.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Fitch Bay United Church, initially of Congregational denomination, was organized in 1854 by Rev. L. P. Adams; it was then called the North Stanstead Congregational Church. In 1859, a first church was erected. In 1925, when the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, the North Stanstead Congregational Church joined the Union to form the Fitch Bay United Church. In 1969, due to diminishing membership, the Fitch Bay United Church was dissolved and the congregation was amalgamated with the Magog-Georgeville Pastoral Charge. In 1988, the Municipality of the Township of Stanstead acquired the old Fitch Bay United Church building in order to transform it into a town hall. Fitch Bay United Church was under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The church was governed by the Official Board and the Congregation in cooperation with the organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School, the Women's Organizations, and the Adults and Couples Organizations.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on Church management, the congregation's affairs, the Sunday School, the women's and adults and couples organizations for the Fitch Bay United Church from 1854 to 1992. It consists mainly of minutes, historical sketches, and account books. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards ([191-?]-1967), Buildings and Property ([1959?]-1969), Financial Resources (1936-1945), Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1854-1888), Orders of Service (1951-1959), Funds (1942), Membership (1955-1956), Historical (1866-1992), Organizations (1897-1956), and Photographs (1899-1910, 1988).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Georgeville United Church fonds (UC032).
No more accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
The archives of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery local churches and pastoral charges are all arranged according to a common classification system established by Susan Stanley, former Montreal and Ottawa Conference Archivist.
The documents are in English.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016