Title and statement of responsibility area
fonds Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company was founded in 1835 in Charleston. Some Sherbrooke-area businessmen (Samuel Brooks, William Walker, L.-C. Ball, F. Loomis, Guy-C. Colclough, Geo.-D. Innes, C.-F.-H. Goodhue, Daniel Thompson, G. De Tonnancour, and Otis King) met in Sherbrooke to discuss the possibility of founding a mutual insurance company. A few weeks later, at a meeting in Charleston, the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of the Counties of Stanstead and Sherbrooke was created. First located in Charleston, the Company moved to Lennoxville in 1836 and to Sherbrooke in 1844. In 1882, the company name was changed to The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance Company and, in 1927, to The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company. Through the years, the company's activities became national in scope, as branches were opened in Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, and other cities. In the 1980s, the company was absorbed by the Commercial Union of Canada whose head office is in Toronto.
Scope and content
The fonds contains information on the insurance policies issued by the Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company, likely by the Coaticook insurance agent from 1875 to 1891. It consists of two application registers. The applicants are mostly residents of Coaticook but some are from Stanhope, Moe's River and surrounding areas. Notably, the applications include sketches of the buildings (dimensions and position) to be insured.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The documents are in English.