Title and statement of responsibility area
Guido Tondino fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1978, 1997-1998, mostly undated (Creation)
- Tondino, Guido
Physical description area
approximately 60 drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Guido Tondino taught Drama at Bishop's University, Lennoxville, Quebec from 1979-1983. He is one of the country's top designers, having worked professionally since graduating from the National Theatre School of Canada/NTS. He also studied at Tulane University. For Centaur Theatre , with whom he has had a long relationship, he designed the premieres of Vittorio Rossi's The Chain and Paradise by the River; David Fennario's Moving; Kit Brennan's Having (1999); as well as Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, David French's Salt-Water Moon, and Paul Ledoux and David Young's Fire. He has also designed for the Saidye Bronfman Centre (Cold Storage), Neptune Theatre (Les Canadiens) and Tarragon Theatre (Something Red).
From 1986-91 he was the associate director and resident designer for Theatre Calgary where he designed, among other works, Hamlet and Waiting for Godot. He has worked extensively at the Stratford Festival, drawing critical raves in 1997 for his design for the company's Death of a Salesman. For the company he also designed Much Ado About Nothing, The Night of the Iguana, Filumena and The Little Foxes (among others). He designed productions of Present Laughter (Soulpepper Theatre Company 2001); Lenin's Embalmers by Vern Thiessen (Winnipeg Jewish Theatre and Harold Green Jewish Theatre 2010); La Peau d'Elisa by Carole Fréchette (2011), L'Homme du hasard, Grace & Gloria by Tom Ziegler (trans Michel Tremblay (2011), and Porc-épic by David Paquet (2012) at UniThéâtre. He has also designed in the United States, where he lived from 1980 to 1986, for the Abbey Theatre in Dublin, and the National Theatre of Romania. From 1998 to 2002, he was the director of design at the National Theatre School of Canada. He is currently in the faculty of the University of Alberta Drama Department.
Scope and content
"Midsummer Night's Dream" -a collection of fifteen pencil and water colour posters, measuring approximately 18"x12", depicting characters from Shakespeare's play "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Artist -Tondino.
- "Philostrate, A Drunken Impressario"[sic]
- (Man in blue cap)
- (Man in brown hat)
- "Theseus, A Drunk"
- (Man in blue uniform)
"Hostage" - a collection of four pencil and water colour posters, measuring approximately 20"x 16", depicting characters from the play "Hostage." Artist Tondino
- "Rio Rita and Princess Grace"
- "Ira Officer and Feargus O'Connor"
- "Leslie Williams and Teresa"
Sketches: Unnamed -Tondino 1978
- Theatre Activ 1997 -3 items
- Theatre Activ 1998
Plans: Stage settings Note: Director J. Roberts
- "Picnic on the Battlefield" ground plan - 4 items -October 1981, Director Guido Tondino, Design Dan Chatham
- "The Seagull" ground plan -2 items -November 1990(?) Director London Green
- "En Pieces Detachees" ground plan -1 item -n.d. Cathy Mitchell
- "Twelfth Night" ground plan -5 items -n.d. Director J. Roberts, Design Tondino
- "The Hostage" ground plan -5 items -n.d. Director J. Roberts, Design Tondino
- "The Miser" ground plan and props -9 items -n.d. Director Jackson Roberts, Design Tondino
- "Tefu and Her Friend" ground plan and props -12 items -n.d. Director Jon Rittenhouse
Design B. Champoux
- "Midsummer Night's Dream" ground plan and props -5 items -n.d. Director Jake Roberts
Design Guido Tondino