Fonds BCHS272 - John Jackson fonds

Lease of the Clergy Reserve Notice to bailiffs Acquittance of land payments Letters patent on land

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John Jackson fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA BCHS BCHS272

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1822-1840 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1771-1844)

Biographical history

John Jackson was born on July 2, 1771, in Petersham, Massachusetts. After graduating from Dartmouth College in 1792, he married Rebecca Rogers on 27 Feb. 1798 and became pastor of Gill Church, Mass. They had twelve children, eight of whom went on to adulthood.
Around 1811, the family packed up to settle in Stukely, where Rebecca's parents were already living since 1803. Four years later, Jackson acquired Lots 2 and 3 of Rank 7 of Brome County.
During the early years, John Jackson preached as a Congregational missionary pastor. He roamed the greater Brome and Sutton area because he was the only pastor (and the first) of this congregation. In 1822, he officially registered a Clergy Reserve on his land for the construction of a future church.
John Jackson died of pneumonia on March 18, 1844, and his wife survived him until 1855. The paternal house no longer exists, but it is known that it was located on the lot acquired by Benjamin Draper at the beginning of the twentieth century. The street and stream that run through the lots of land have retained the Jackson toponym in honor of this pioneering family.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of primary source documents relating to the Reverend John Jackson's installation on a land in Brome, where he was given a Clergy Reserve, along a river later named Jackson River. The documents relate to transactions and legal matters encountered by Rev. John Jackson.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

November 12, 2016;
May 31, 2021.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres