Title and statement of responsibility area
Lennoxville Curling Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0,75 m of textual records. - 1120 photographs : negatives and prints. - 33 artefacts.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Lennoxville Curling Club was founded in April 1923, with an inaugural meeting at the Lennoxville Town Hall. At this meeting, Robert McMurray was elected as the club's first president. On 5 January 1924 the rink was ready, and the Club was officially opened; a crowd of 300 attended this opening. At the time, the Lennoxville Curling Association owned the rink and rented it to the Club until its dissolution in 1946. In the early years, curling began in January and ended in mid-March; later the season expanded from November to April.
In the first few years, only men's rinks competed in leagues. In 1931, ladies began to participate in their own league when the Ladies's curling club was formed on 11 December 1931. Seniors members also have their league and participate in most competitions. Since its founding, the Lennoxville Curling Club, with its many committees, has been very active organizing leagues and annual bonspiels such as the Mixed Invitational, Men's Invitational, Downs Trophy Bonspiel, President's - Vice-president's competition, Spring Fling, and others. It has also hosted national and provincial championships and has participated to out of town bonspiels.
Throughout its history, the club has served the community not only as a venue of healthy recreation and competition, but equally as a place for socialization and leisure.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of source material relating to the history, administration, finances committees, membership, matches, bonspeils, events, and special activities of the Lennoxville Curling Club from 1923 to 1999. It also consists of source material on curling and other curling clubs. The fonds contains minutes, reports, lists, photographs, press clippings, booklets and artefacts. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Administration ([19--?]-1998), Committees (1923-1999), Events and Special Activities (1949-1999), Curling Information (1946-1999), Miscellaneous ([19--]-1999), and Ladies' (1992-1998).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Title based on contents of fonds.
The documents were donated in three accessions (2000, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008) by the Lennoxville Curling Club and in 2020 by Allan Rowell.
There is one unprocessed acquisition: 0.13 l.m. of textual records.
The documents are in English, some in French.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016