Title and statement of responsibility area
Lennoxville United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2.84 m of textual records. - 62 photographs. - 1 postcard. - 4 drawings. - 18 architectural drawings.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Lennoxville United Church, initially of Methodist denomination, was organized as an independent charge in 1875. At the time, Methodism had been practised in Lennoxville for more than fifty years. The present Church building was dedicated in 1876. It was built to replace an older church [c.1849], which burned in the Lennoxville fire of 1874. In 1925, the United Church of Canada was founded, amalgamating Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches. The Methodist Church in Lennoxville decided to join the Union. Over the years, the Lennoxville charge had the oversight of many congregations, namely those in Johnville, Capelton and Minton. Today, the Church is still active. The Lennoxville United Church is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec and Sherbrooke Presbytery of the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada. The Church is governed by the Official Board, the Session, the Board of Stewards and the Board of Trustees in co-operation with committees and organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the United Church Women.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on church management, the congregation's affairs, and church organizations for the Lennoxville United Church from 1838 to 2021. It consists mainly of minutes, financial records, correspondence, guest books, marriage licences, registers of births, marriages, deaths, newsletters, photographs, drawings, postcards. It also includes a register of births, marriages and deaths for the Belvidere Methodist Circuit from 1894 to 1917. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Church Boards (1900-2011), Buildings and Property (1939-1940, 1964), Financial Resources (1907-2005), Annual Reports (1920, 1954-2013), Guest Books (1959-1990), Registers of Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials (1838-1960), Orders of Service (1939, 1953-1989), Funds (1979-1981), Membership (1876-1974), Historical ([1909?]-2010), Newsletters ([1955?]-1975), Organizations (1906-2021), Committees (1952-1990), Prints, Paintings, Drawings (1955-1974), Photographs ([1913?]-[198-?]), and Miscellaneous ([192-?]-1993).
Dry Method for Surface Cleaning of Paper was done in December 2001 by Francine Godbout.
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were loaned in 1993 by the Montreal and Ottawa Conference of the United Church of Canada.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The documents are in English, some in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials may be restricted at the discretion of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
One compact disc containing 442 Mb of data consisting of 65 photographs dating from 2012 is unprocessed (2020-045).
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
The fonds was processed and described by Ariana Ho, archival intern, under the supervision of Jody Robinson in 2016 courtesy of funding from Canadian Heritage.