Title and statement of responsibility area
Lingwick Lodge, No. 79, Freemasons (Gould) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1957 to 1980 (Creation)
- Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, Freemasons (Lac-Mégantic, Que.)
- Lac-Mégantic (Quebec)
[19-?] to 2012 (Creation)
- Lingwick Lodge, No.79, Freemasons (Gould, Que.)
- Gould (Quebec)
Physical description area
ca. 0.94 l.m. of textual records, 3 architectural drawings, 3 photographs : 1 B&W and 2 col., 7 35mm negatives : col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Lingwick Lodge, No.79, held its first documented meeting on July 29, 1905, with members of Victoria Lodge, No. 16, Friendship Lodge, No. 66, Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, and even a member of Granite Lodge in Berre, Vermont. At this meeting it was resolved that it was in the interest of Masonry that a Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons be established at Gould in the Township of Lingwick and District of St. Francis to be called Lingwick Lodge. On August 16, 1905, by a unanimous vote, Friendship Lodge, No. 66, recommended that dispensation be granted to Lingwick Lodge by the Most Wor. Grand Master. Lingwick Lodge was instituted on January 16, 1906, at which time the officers of Friendship Lodge (No. 66) performed the ceremony of instituting Lingwick Lodge and the investiture of its officers. Already operating out of the Masonic Hall at Gould, it received its warrant on February 13, 1907, and was officially consecrated and chartered in 1908.
On November 23, 1963, Lingwick Lodge amalgamated with Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, whose members continued to belong to Lingwick Lodge. In 1980, the minutes begin to record that the lodge meets in the Masonic Chambers of Gould Hall, which appears to be the same location as the original Masonic Hall, since no dispensation has been found allowing them to change their meeting place. Then on March 13, 1989, The Grand Lodge of Quebec issued a dispensation giving Lingwick Lodge the permission to move to Chalmers United Church for the purpose of conducting its meetings due to the Town Hall having been sold and no longer available to Lingwick Lodge. It continued to rent the Chalmers United Church until 2012.
On September 14, 2011, Lingwick Lodge, No. 79, along with King Edward Lodge, No. 78, amalgamated with Friendship Lodge, No. 66, and its members continued to belong to Friendship Lodge, operating out of the chapel in North Hatley.
Now, in 2023, Gould Hall, located at 210 Quebec Route 257, Lingwick, is known as the town hall and possibly a community hall. Chalmers United Church, located at 17 Quebec Route 108 in Lingwick, still exists, with tourist descriptions and a commemorative stone in front.
Name of creator
Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, held its first documented meeting on November 14, 1898 and was instituted the same year, sponsored by Friendship Lodge, No. 66, Cookshire. It was established in 1900 and received its warrant on June 27, 1900. Lodge meetings were held in a rented hall in Agnes, adjoining the Town of Lac-Mégantic. The York Rite Ritual was used until the Lodge was obliged by the Grand Lodge to change to the Quebec Ritual, thus becoming a Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
The first meeting using the Quebec Ritual was held in June 21, 1910. At the December 31, 1910 meeting it was reported that a lot of Lac-Mégantic had been purchased, and also the old Presbyterian Church building, which was later moved to the lot. A mortgage of $1,200 was placed on the building to finance the project. Permission to change the place of meeting was granted on June 24, 1911.
Due to declining membership, it began amalgamating with Lingwick Lodge, No. 79, in the 1960s. On November 23, 1963, Fidelity Lodge, amalgamated with Lingwick Lodge, and its members continued to belong to Lingwick Lodge.
Following the amalgamation of the Freemason Lodges of Lingwick, Cookshire, Sawyerville, East Angus, Lac-Mégantic and North Hatley, their files were transferred to Friendship Lodge, No. 66, in North Hatley.
Scope and content
The fonds contains primary source material on Lingwick Lodge, No. 79, from 1905 to 2012 and Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, from 1957 to 1980. It consists primarily of minutes, correspondence, attendance registers, returns, petitions and applications, Masonic profiles, and membership dues. The fonds is comprised of the following series: History (1981-2011), Constituent Documents (1907-2009), Administration ([19-?]-2011), Buildings & Property (1989-2012), Finances (1906-2012), Membership (1906-2011), Photographs ([198-?]-[199-?]), and Fidelity Lodge, No. 77, Dues (1957-1980).
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds donated by Friendship Lodge, No. 66, Freemasons (Cookshire, Sawyerville, and North Hatley) in 2020.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
Researchers may also consult Friendship Lodge, No. 66, Freemasons (Cookshire, Sawyerville, and North Hatley) fonds (P263).
No further accruals are expected.
The fonds was processed by Joanie Tétreault, archives technician, under the supervision of Jazmine Aldrich in 2023 courtesy of funding from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).