Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Melbourne) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1925-1994, predominant 1970-1990 (Creation)
Physical description area
0,08 m of textual records. - 8 photographs (b&w and col.).
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The congregation of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was established in 1837. In 1839, it united with the Melbourne Congregational Church under the name United Presbyterian and Congregational Church of Melbourne. This union was abolished the next year. From 1886 to 1993, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Melbourne was united with Chalmers Presbyterian Church in Richmond. When the United Church of Canada was established in 1925, St. Andrew's Church remained Presbyterian. In 1997, St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in Melbourne was amalgamated with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church also in Melbourne. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Quebec of the Synod of Quebec and Eastern Ontario of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The Church is governed by the congregation and the Church Courts (Board of Managers and Session) in co-operation with committees, societies, and organizations within the Church, such as the Sunday School and the Women's Missionary Society.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the congregation's affairs for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church of Melbourne from 1925 to 1994. It consists mainly of orders of service and annual reports. The fonds is comprised of the following series: Session (1971-1988), Congregation (1962-1994), Board of Managers (1968-1975), Women's Organizations (1978-[198-?]), Other Organizations (1983), Photographs ([198-?]), and Miscellaneous Documents (1925-1992).
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds was loaned for 50 years in 1996 by the Presbytery of Quebec of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
The classification of the fonds is based on the file classification plan established by Sylvie Côté, ETRC Archivist, for local Presbyterian Church records. Individual churches do not all have records falling in each of the system's prearranged series, subseries, and files. This fonds is an example, as it comprises only seven series out of a possible nine.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The documents are in English.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
1 février, 2016