Title and statement of responsibility area
Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper:
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
13 photographs. - 0.145 l.m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company was founded in 1835 in Charleston. Some Sherbrooke-area businessmen (Samuel Brooks, William Walker, L.-C. Ball, F. Loomis, Guy-C. Colclough, Geo.-D. Innes, C.-F.-H. Goodhue, Daniel Thompson, G. De Tonnancour, and Otis King) met in Sherbrooke to discuss the possibility of founding a mutual insurance company. A few weeks later, at a meeting in Charleston, the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of the Counties of Stanstead and Sherbrooke was created. First located in Charleston, the Company moved to Lennoxville in 1836 and to Sherbrooke in 1844. In 1882, the company name was changed to The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Mutual Fire Insurance Company and, in 1927, to The Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company. Through the years, the company's activities became national in scope, as branches were opened in Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, and other cities. In the 1980s, the company was absorbed by the Commercial Union of Canada whose head office is in Toronto.
Scope and content
The fonds contains source material on the activities of the Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company from 1835 to 1935. It consists of three registers and two booklets. The registers contain by-laws, minutes of Board of Directors' meetings, annual reports, financial statements, statements of receipts and disbursements, and data on complaints by the insured. The commemorative booklets were published on the occasions of the company's 75th and 100th anniversaries. The fonds consists of the following series: Administration (1835-1973), Financial Resources (1865-1915), and Photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were donated in 1976 by Jean Prosper Gauthier, then President of the Stanstead and Sherbrooke Fire Insurance Company. An accrual was received in 2005 by Suzanne Gauthier, Mrs. Jean Prosper Gauthier. Three records were transferred to the fonds in 2023 from a donation made by Frederick E. Hurd.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
The records are mainly in English, and the 100th anniversary booklet is in French.
Location of originals
Registers are also available on microfilm: 'Manuscript Records of the Bishop's University Series', reel no 8.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers may also consult the Fonds Stanstead & Sherbrooke Mutual Insurance Fire Company (P54) conserved by the Société d'histoire de Drummond.
No more accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Finding aid prepared using Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
28 janvier, 2016, revised 2 July 2023